Truchas

Moderators: scotthsu, Bob, Matt, mark

Kerry

Truchas

Post by Kerry »

I checked on the road conditions to Santa Barbara TH and to Trampas TH today. Both are passable enough. With a low clearance vehicle you can drive just past the bridge over the Santa Barbara. On the way to Trampas TH, you can drive to about a mile from the TH.
The gate about 4 mi before the Trampas TH was closed and appeared to be locked, but wasn't. I recommend putting gate back in position you find it until FS opens all the gates in the area.
I'm thinking April 22-24 for a multi-day trip...anyone else?
lobojasper

Re: Truchas

Post by lobojasper »

Hey, FYI here are some photos of this area from last year in April.

From Trampas Peak April 12, 2015
IMG_0597a.jpg
IMG_0597a.jpg (218.5 KiB) Viewed 7109 times
The trees
IMG_0522a.jpg
IMG_0522a.jpg (312.15 KiB) Viewed 7109 times
And from below Jicarita Peak April 25, 2015.
IMG_0649 copya.jpg
IMG_0649 copya.jpg (151.84 KiB) Viewed 7109 times
IMG_0647a.jpg
IMG_0647a.jpg (494.84 KiB) Viewed 7108 times
Also, Santa Barbara to the Truchas Peaks crosses a bunch of avalanche run outs on the NE Face of Trampas-Santa Barbara Ridge. Multiple slides cross the switch backs on Trail 25 (West Fork Santa Barbara Trail) near the treeline about 6 miles in. Believe it or not, May 2014 I ran into ~10 feet deep mounds of debris each time the trail switched back across the debris field. It was rotten and horrible haha.
Kerry

Post by Kerry »

Jasper, thanks for the beta! I expect the Trampas Lakes trail to be easier access than the Santa Barbara access to North Truchas. I also like the lines around Trampas bowl. Have you skied the Trampas trail?
lobojasper

Post by lobojasper »

I have hiked the trampas trail to Sheepshead and Jacarilla peak a few times in fall/summer, but I have never skied it. Looks like a lot of fun though. The main couloirs that run from sheepshead to trampas lakes look pretty steep. Any idea on slope angle? There also might be some fun lines from sheepshead down to San Leonardo lakes as well, but I have no idea if they hold snow.
Brown_Trout

Post by Brown_Trout »

Planning a two night tour next weekend starting April 8th. Camping at Trampas Lake both nights.

My buddy went and checked out the snowpack on the NE face and claimed it looked full. Hoping to ski some fun lines up there!
Tight lines and deep pow
lobojasper

Post by lobojasper »

hey all, check this trip report out. these dudes killed it on trampas/truchas.

http://skisickness.com/post/vt568-truch ... uad-action
Bob

Post by Bob »

lobojasper wrote:hey all, check this trip report out. these dudes killed it on trampas/truchas.

http://skisickness.com/post/vt568-truch ... uad-action
Damn, I've been trying to figure out a way to get to South Truchas and ski it for a while now. I never really considered their route for skiing - it's a long day for sure, a real long day. Then there's that south-facing slope. Sky's kind of an animal.

I've been thinking of going in from Jack's Creek and camping at Pecos Baldy Lake.
Brown_Trout

Post by Brown_Trout »

I toured up in that area April 8-10 and we used that trip report as a guide to approach. It is a LONG 7 mile approach just to get to Trampas lakes. There was enough snow about two miles up from the trailhead and we were able to start skinning. We camped about a mile from the lakes then skinned up a couloir the next day hoping to make it over the first ridge then ski toward Truchas. Weather had us socked in so we skied the couloir and came back to camp.Even if the weather had been good it would have been a pretty intense day with at least 6k vert of climbing to get over to Truchas and back.

Friday night it snowed about 6" and under that was a frozen layer with some facets beneath that. We dug a pit and were able to get a collapse after cutting the sides of the column loose and approx. 200 lbs of weight 3 feet above (sorry not very scientific I know...I'm still learning). No cracking or really obvious signs of activity were observed in the chutes around the cirque.

Here is the cirque looking south from a slope above our camp
IMG_2521.JPG
IMG_2521.JPG (6.52 MiB) Viewed 6940 times
We skied the right/middle couloir. You can see some switchbacks and lines on it.
IMG_2515.JPG
IMG_2515.JPG (1.46 MiB) Viewed 6940 times
On the descent
IMG_2578.PNG
IMG_2578.PNG (1.02 MiB) Viewed 6940 times
Tight lines and deep pow
jarruga

Seal skins found in Deception Peak. Friday 22nd

Post by jarruga »

Hi all!

I found one seal skin in my way to Deception Peak last Friday 22nd.

I kept it with me, so if you want to have it back call me and we will fix an appointment. My phone number (Javier) is 505 417 92 09.
trevdog

Post by trevdog »

On the weekend of 4-26 my buddy Dan and I had a nice overnight tour around the Trampas lakes. As previously reported, the gate on the road from El Valle looked locked but wasn't, and was left the same. We camped at the trail-head and watched little trout dart about in the runoff. The next morning we had to hike a couple miles up the trail until the first rock-slide at about 9800ft, to put the skins on. From there we could mostly keep the skis on, though there was a little bit of grass skinning. When we got to the Trampas lakes we refilled our water and watched a small trout enjoying the sunlight and ice free pool; Almost caught a protein shot with our water, but not quite. The stream leading into the lake had exposed water as did one place further down canyon. We made camp up above the second lake, dropped the heavy gear and set a skin track up the closest E facing couloir. There was about 140cm of snow down in the trees where we camped. I'm going to disappoint everyone now and admit that I didn't take any measurements up higher on the mountain. Everywhere we skied had a very solid, frozen through snowpack or else a soft sun warmed layer on top of previously said. The past few days of warm weather had created some significant roller balls (some probably 3ft in diameter) and on steeper aspects mostly loose wet slides though on one of the adjacent south facing slopes where cover was thinner there looked to be a fairly large wet slab. We rode along the edges of the debris and roller balls down the chute we had skinned up and had a fun run back to camp that night. There was a brief pierod of grappel that fell around sunset (barely any accumulation) and made for an amazing swirling gold curtain in the air overhead. A beautiful high alpine night to be sure. The next morning we followed the skin track we had set the previous evening, being snowboarders and mostly clumsy creatures on skis, there were a few exciting moments as we lost traction (and precious vert) on the frozen skin up. A hilarious sight I'm sure, but no one other than ravens around to laugh. We climbed the ridge toward north Truchas Pk and gazed out at the incredible line off of Truchas Medio.(pic coming) Someday this too shall be shredded...but not by us on this trip. We dropped our packs on the ridge and hiked up to the nearest high point (maybe just north of N Truchas?) Sorry, we didn't and I still don't have a map of the area. The sun was out in full force and rapidly softening all exposed slopes. We hiked back along the ridge toward Jicarilla until the chute directly above our camp, a nice deep crag that held shadow for most of the day that opened up to an apron that unlike most of the surrounding area had a roller ball debris free line down. It was crusty and hard in the couloir and soft spring corn on the apron. We made it back to camp by noon and started the hike out. Thinking we could get above some of the switchbacks and get a few more turns in on the way down, we left the trail and maintained elevation on the west facing slope. This was a mistake and we found ourselves on a collapsing slope with water obviously running through the snowpack, a nerve racking dozen yards or so. In the trees everything was still cold and there were a few nice turns back to the trail which we followed until, the snowpack became spotty (much thinner at low elevation than the previous day) and we engaged in the great debate as to whether it was better to strap in and ride for a stretch or keep on walking and post hole a few steps through the soft spots. Turned out to be 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. Regardless, took the entire afternoon to get back down. El Parisol in Pojoaque is closed on Sunday so we ended up in the QB's (or something) liquor store and sports bar. They have good beer on tap and bad food, but it's cheap and the green chile is honest and hot. Did the job anyway. I'd love to know how much snow fell over this last stormy spell, might think about another trip this weekend.
I'll post the part everyone really cares about- the pictures, manana. I hadn't realized it wasn't as easy as uploading them to this post, and this post has been delayed too long as is.
Ok, here are the promised pics:Image First off, a man confused by how a log burned.
Image after resolving the mystery of the burnt log, said man decides to get his sht together.
Image There was a couple miles of this.
Image This is the previously mentioned "first rock slide". ~10K
Image I fell through this snow bridge on the hike out a day later.
Image I don't always take selfies, but when I do, I stay partly out of frame.
Image Looking into the Trampas Lakes basin, lots of rollers and loose wets from the previous week
Image Just plain purty.
Image An evening run.
Imagewaitin for that sun set
Image looking up at the next days fun, a shaded couloir and the cleanest apron in the valley.
Image Then a golden snow cloud descended upon us, we tripped on the sky a while and called it a night.
Image Climbed up the frozen crud in the morning,
ImageWe clibed to the nearest peak. It was windy and we turned around, passing several nice entry lines, most of these were solid crud on the lower half...
Image This ended up being the line of choice.
Image From the bottom.
First time uploading pictures here, hope the size and everything is ok, if i messed up you can go here to see everything: http://download.marblestreetstudio.com/ ... has&page=1
Last edited by trevdog on Fri May 06, 2016 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlexAdams

Post by AlexAdams »

Nice reports and photos guys, definitely stoked to get up there soon. That's great news about the gate as well.
Kerry

Post by Kerry »

Magical, Trev. Thanks for the report.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Oh boy, pictures!

:wink:
Jake19

Post by Jake19 »

Hey Everybody,

I am thinking about packing into trampas lake sometime between may 25-30. I was wondering if anybody has been up that way since the most recent posts on this forum and might have some info on snow conditions up high as well as the approach. One major issue is I'll likely be bringing a friend who would be on snowshoes and wouldn't be skiing. I just wanted to see if snow is still too deep/post-holey for him to have any fun hiking into the lakes and hanging out in the basin without skis.

I know there has been some recent storm activity that will continue this weekend but is it mostly spring conditions up high (get up early and be down before too hot) or are there still some storm or persistent slabs lurking? I know the only way to really test it out is to get up there and poke around, but wanted to get as much insight from you guys as possible before hand.

Lastly, any good recommendation for lines to ski? It seems like the couloirs right above the lakes look pretty good from the reports here. I hiked the truchas peaks last summer from jacks creek side and camped at truchas lakes before climbing the peaks the next day. When I got to the saddle between n truchas and middle/south I saw pretty sweet looking tracks in the basin that I believe would be the north fork of the quemado. Have any of you guys taken that approach/camp site instead of trampas lakes? I was also planning on bringing crampons and axe. Is it worth the extra weight to bring that gear for the skiable lines up there in terms of how steep and how firm the snow likely is? Thanks for any/all help and suggestions. If anyone wants to join the trip feel free to contact me. Thanks!

Jake
Bob

Post by Bob »

I've taken the Rio Quemado route into Middle Truchas. It's pretty simple once you get to the trailhead. The tricky part is getting to the trailhead. It's a real maze of roads back there. I have some directions that might help, but I need a couple days to locate and post them. The other thing is that the roads and trailhead are located on a land grant, and in the past locals haven't been totally welcoming. It's been a long time since I've heard of any problems, but I'll also see if I can't get you a phone number for the land grant manager so you can make a courtesy call, which seemed to be appreciated when I was in there. I'm away from that info but I think I can get it up early this coming week.