'Matador' Bowl from the top of Toro Mata
'Matador' Bowl from the top of Toro Mata
Screen Shot 2016-03-23 at 9.47.41 AM.png (1.2 MiB) Viewed 2680 times
'Matador' Bowl from the top of Toro Grande
'Matador' Bowl from the top of Toro Grande
Screen Shot 2016-03-23 at 9.41.00 AM.png (465.89 KiB) Viewed 2680 times

Latirs: Bull Creek and Venado hike

Snowpack:
The consolidated spring snowpack was extremely wind packed and icy on most aspects due to the recent winds (especially above 12k). Temps were cold above treeline, and I only noticed Southeast aspects corning up while I was there. It appeared that the cold wind was likely causing sublimation on anything that actually warmed enough to 'thaw.' I dug no pits. Cornices were solid spring cornices awaiting warm days to fall. I saw one old crown (perhaps from the last storm) on an east facing 12k 40 degree slope. It had gone to the ground and appeared to be triggered by wind loading in a thin rocky/steep section of mountainside. Everything pointed to a full transition to spring snowpack, except in the trees at 10-11k which have extremely varied conditions.

Approach:
From Cabresto Lake (high clearance or good driving skills required to get there), the trail is intermittent snow that was supportable early in the morning but super deep in the afternoon. Spotty all the way to the Bull Creek trail, then spotty a little ways up that too. Inconveniently long stretches of both bare ground and snow... Spring's best some might say.

Outing:
I overnighted in Bull Creek, in a south facing bowl. After looking into Venado's northern bowl, and seeing that it was completely icy (too bad, because it has some sweet lines!!), I took a few pics and headed back down into Bull Creek for 2 lines on that first day. The unnamed bowl I stayed in had several couloirs, all SE facing that corned up well while I was there. I managed to ski 2 more lines the next day: all were somewhere in the 4-600ft range or so. The wind storm kept the air temps cold all day, even though the top 1-3" snow softened.

Perhaps there's a local name for this bowl feature I camped in, but I dubbed it "Matador Bowl."

Whatever the case, I thought I'd share the beta pics and a map. Have a good spring everyone.

(And thank you to Patrick, for the ski track that had hardened enough for me to be supported by the track.

Bull Creek, 'Matador' Bowl Map
Bull Creek, 'Matador' Bowl Map
Matador1.png (1.41 MiB) Viewed 2680 times
'Matador' Lines from L-R: Toro Grande, Hidden, Toro Mata, Headwall
'Matador' Lines from L-R: Toro Grande, Hidden, Toro Mata, Headwall
MatadorLines.png (911.71 KiB) Viewed 2680 times

Here are some other beta shots of Cabresto and Venado both of which should be skied in the next month.
Cabresto Northface
Cabresto Northface
Screen Shot 2016-03-23 at 9.38.55 AM.png (624.73 KiB) Viewed 2680 times
Venado's Northern Bowl with sweet icy lines
Venado's Northern Bowl with sweet icy lines
Screen Shot 2016-03-23 at 9.41.22 AM.png (277.05 KiB) Viewed 2680 times
The only two things you can truly depend on are Gravity and Greed. -Jack Palance
Kerry

Re: Latirs

Post by Kerry »

Nice trip! Nice report, too! Thanks, Dan.
danshorb

Post by danshorb »

Thanks Kerry. Hopefully someone will follow up with a trip into Venado's northern bowl... After all this wind of course.
The only two things you can truly depend on are Gravity and Greed. -Jack Palance
lobojasper

Post by lobojasper »

The northern bowl of venado looks fun to ski down,, but on the map it looks like itd be a pain in the ass to get out of. Any thoughts on that? I guess most of this sport is a pain in the ass anyway aha.
danshorb

Post by danshorb »

The best way is to go up the low saddle in the center of the last pic. The low point between Venado and Virsylvia. It may look a little steep in this pic, but is the most manageable. I hiked down in the Fall one time and don't recall it feeling too steep.