Cabresto

Moderators: scotthsu, Bob, Matt, mark

Kerry

Cabresto

Post by Kerry »

On 12/3, in the Upper Cabresto and Greenie Pk area, I found the following. Road is snow covered and drivable in Subaru type vehicles to the gate at about 9700'. An insignificant amount of snow mobile traffic has been higher on the road and meadows. At 9900', I found 35 cm of faceted snow with a melt freeze crust about 12 cm. At 10,200-11,250, found a consistent 65-70 cm of faceted snow and the same melt freeze crust about 25 cm. Although faceted, the snow was supportive and provided a nice surface for skinny skimo skis on all north aspects of Greenie Pk.
Resistence tests were F at surface and 1f just above the MF crust, pencil crust and 4f-F in the DH below the crust. Shears were moderate with uneven breaks.
Looked at the Cabresto Lake area, where i found south aspects up through 10,000' mostly dry and bare. In this area, most north aspects above 9500' are skiable in meadows, and above 10,000' skiable in trees.
danshorb

Re: Cabresto

Post by danshorb »

Awesome. Pics?
The only two things you can truly depend on are Gravity and Greed. -Jack Palance
Kerry

Post by Kerry »

No pics. The scenery is not as dramatic as your Latir Pk tour. The top of Greenie Pk offers a nice view S to Gold Hill, Red River, Eagles Nest and Angel Fire, and NE to Granite Pk and Valle Vidal. Greenie skis like Heaven's Hill near SF, but with easier access. I stayed on the north side of the hill this time; next time will climb the N side to ski the curved drainage on NW side and the straight drainage on the NE side.
lobojasper

Post by lobojasper »

Hello all - Long time reader, first time poster.

I decided to check out the latir peak wildness this year on march 5th, and I took a few pictures along the way.

Hopped on trail 82 headed NE from cabresto lake campground where snow coverage was too thin to efficiently skin until about a mile in. After 2.5 miles on 82 I made a left onto trail 85 (bull creek trail) headed NW, where snow coverage quickly got significantly deeper and more supportive due to shade and increasing altitude. I was hoping to take a shot at cabresto peak summit, but about 1 mile up trail 85 I accidentally continued NNW at Lagunitas Fork where the trail heads WNW towards cabresto peak. I realized this quickly, but continued on because I seemed to be following an unofficial trail headed towards the tree line on a ridge with nice snow and large tree spacing.

Here is a shot from above the treeline looking W at NE facing slope of an unnamed peak.
UN peak
UN peak
IMG_2405b.jpg (335.31 KiB) Viewed 3294 times
The entire day was pretty warm, more or less long sleeved tshirt weather, and the snow was starting to rot so I decided not to go up anything too steep. Cant really see it in the photos, but most of these couloirs had marks left from rollers, and debris fields most likely from wet slides. On a colder day with firm snow, these might be really fun to check out.

Here is a shot from the same spot looking N to the SW face of the Latir Mesa
Latir Mesa
Latir Mesa
IMG_2406b.jpg (88.43 KiB) Viewed 3294 times
The chute on the right in the photo seems to be holding a lot of snow, and mellow throughout especially towards the top. Poorly shown in this photo, this chute hooks around left all the way to the top of the latir mesa creating a really long run possibly worth checking out. Skiing the trees back down the Lagunitas Fork was a little slushy/rotten, but supportive enough to be really enjoyable.

Overall, I was really surprised at how little snow there was in this area considering the time of year and snowfall totals thus far, but it makes sense considering the recent warm weather and lack of snowfall.

Thanks NNMAE for being a great resource.
-Patrick
scotthsu

Post by scotthsu »

Patrick, thanks for the post! Looks like you had a nice tour.
danshorb

Post by danshorb »

Nice Patrick. I appreciate the pics.
The only two things you can truly depend on are Gravity and Greed. -Jack Palance