Santa Fe area

Moderators: scotthsu, Bob, Matt, mark

Bob

Re: Santa Fe area

Post by Bob »

More eloquently? Well, it was chalky and windblown, but the weather was fine, the views were good, and I had a good time. There's a lot of snow back there now. I think a better route in would have been one of the north-facing treed chutes of of Raven's Ridge. Here's some pics:
Skiing:

Looking up, and wondering why it's called the boot-out chute:

Smiling, back at the top, knowing now why it's called the boot-out chute:

Ran into Dorman that posts here, up on Deception.
danshorb

Post by danshorb »

Bob in Nambé Yesterday. Pano of the Western half of the upper bowl.
BobinNambePano.png
BobinNambePano.png (1.32 MiB) Viewed 5193 times
The only two things you can truly depend on are Gravity and Greed. -Jack Palance
Dorman

Re: Big T names

Post by Dorman »

danshorb wrote:Being new. I hoped folks could name these areas for me. I'm interested particularly in #1, #4, and #6.
I've always referred to them as T1, T2, T3 and T4 with T4 being the furthest from the tower. These are all great unless you get lured by open powder glades to drop too soon and wind up in the stream.
Dorman

Post by Dorman »

That same day we dug a pit in the Valhalla section of the Chutes (Westerly aspect). As soon as I began digging there was an evident week layer two feet under the surface that broke out in a slab. We had to traverse to reach the face that we wanted to hit, so we bailed and went to Big T. We should have followed Bob apparently. On the way out to Lake Peak the traverse was very icy and there was no boot pack on the back side. We would have needed snowshoes or crampons to reach the Peak. Big T was great, but South facing slopes were mashed potatoes by 1:00. I would post pictures, but apparently my friend can't operate his GoPro and they were lost.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Dorman, check it out - this apparently happened yesterday (Monday, 2/8). It's on the WSW facing exposure of the ridge between Lake Peak and Heaven's Hill. I'd say you were on to something with your pit results:

It was nice running into you on Deception.
Dorman

Post by Dorman »

It's good to know that we made the right decision. Back there I'd rather deal with regrets than consequences. It was good to run into you guys. We should hit it up some time if you don't mind skiing with a knuckle dragger.
Dorman

Post by Dorman »

I skinned up and did Big T yesterday. Sadly, it might be the last one for this season. The snow has melted considerably and I don't forsee it being ridable if we don't get new snow and colder temps soon. There were some logs starting to get exposed. These pics are all from the top of Big T. You can see that there's not much snow and what's left is melting rapidly.
Attachments
IMG_1999.JPG
IMG_1999.JPG (236.06 KiB) Viewed 5130 times
IMG_1998.JPG
IMG_1998.JPG (175.8 KiB) Viewed 5130 times
IMG_1997.JPG
IMG_1997.JPG (238.09 KiB) Viewed 5130 times
IMG_1996.JPG
IMG_1996.JPG (285.07 KiB) Viewed 5130 times
mattb19

Post by mattb19 »

I spent Monday and Tuesday skiing up in the Nambe chutes area and I have to say the skiing was dam good. The week before the chutes where firm and not corning up till late in the day. This week with the snow temps were warmer so along with the 6 inches of fresh the snow was also corning up. I skied a few of the upper chutes and established a good boot pack out. Someone had been in there over the weekend but most of their boot pack was blown over.
I imagine that with the storm rolling in things might be pretty good again. I was gonna ski up in Colorado this Sunday to Tuesday but if anyone wanted to ski up in Santa Fe or Taos I could stick around.
mattb19

Post by mattb19 »

A pic looking up one of the chutes I skied.
Attachments
20160412_114725.jpg
20160412_114725.jpg (3.06 MiB) Viewed 5029 times
lobojasper

Post by lobojasper »

Is it usually less effort to boot out of the nambe chutes than it is to ski down past nambe lake to the windsor trail? Looks like its downhill all the way to windsor, but Not sure what the snow is like.
Bob

Post by Bob »

lobojasper wrote:Is it usually less effort to boot out of the nambe chutes than it is to ski down past nambe lake to the windsor trail? Looks like its downhill all the way to windsor, but Not sure what the snow is like.
I think it's easier to boot out, plus you get more better skiing out through the ski area. Going down the Nambé drainage and up and out the Winsor always struck me as pretty tedious, especially if the snow is marginal on the Winsor. Your mileage may vary, caveat emptor, and all that.
LTskis

Post by LTskis »

The Nambe area was great on April 17. The chutes were a bit crowded but that made the bootpack more defined and easier. Here is what it looked like...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeUDDcPb4xA
Bob

Post by Bob »

^^^Nice video!
Bob

Post by Bob »

I had a very nice bluebird day in the Nambé today. Sure, it was a little manky, but the coverage is as good in there as I've seen it in the last few years. I skied the boot-out chute and the one to skier's left of it. The boot pack/skin track is in - thanks! There were a lotta rollers, but nothing other than that to indicate any stability. Lots of tracks though.

Dorman

Post by Dorman »

Thanks for the update Bob. I feel like I might be sick on Tuesday.