TSV/Wheeler Peak Region

Moderators: scotthsu, Bob, Matt, mark

danshorb

Re: TSV/Wheeler Peak Region

Post by danshorb »

I did a helmet cam on a few of our lines. Its a bit jiggly and uncut, but... (also makes me realize how few minutes of the entire day was turns)

http://vimeo.com/66608080
The only two things you can truly depend on are Gravity and Greed. -Jack Palance
JBella

Post by JBella »

Nice pics Dan! Helped us make some decisions regarding where to go yesterday.
K4, great conditions perfect dirty corn snow early afternoon, typical spring weather sunny and snowing or cloudy and clear most of the time. Large suncups bottom half of the mountain, we were able to ride continuously to the waterfall.
Walter/Wheeler
Walter/Wheeler
1.4.jpg (160.46 KiB) Viewed 6685 times
Top of the Peace and Fingers
Top of the Peace and Fingers
1.5.jpg (243.34 KiB) Viewed 6685 times
K1
K1
1.3.jpg (131.31 KiB) Viewed 6684 times
Last edited by JBella on Tue May 21, 2013 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JBella

Post by JBella »

1.6.jpg
1.6.jpg (120.09 KiB) Viewed 6685 times
K4
K4
1.2.jpg (161.81 KiB) Viewed 6685 times
1.1.jpg
1.1.jpg (141.09 KiB) Viewed 6685 times
danshorb

Post by danshorb »

JBella wrote:....
1.6.jpg
1.2.jpg
1.1.jpg
Well, Mr. Bella, It is hard to beat your continuous updates from THE PREMIERE skiing destination in NM. So its very nice of you to give a shout out for my short jaunt into your home turf. Looks like you guys had a good session up there. We had wondered how far down the snow went. Good to hear it Goes all the way to the waterfall. Crazy to compare your May 7th shots with these.
Peace
The only two things you can truly depend on are Gravity and Greed. -Jack Palance
scotthsu

Post by scotthsu »

Indeed, thanks for your pinpoint updating all season, Jared. On our recent outing, Bob and I talked about having a pre-season NNMAE get-together at a brewery like we used to many years ago. Your first beer is on me!
Kerry

Post by Kerry »

Scott & Bob, I like the sounds of meeting at a brewery.

Jared, you still have an open invitation to dinner as a "thank you" for the data you posted this year. Will be around late this evening thru maybe Sun. PM me for a meet at Tims or Bav. You really raised the bar around here for condition reporting.

I'm looking for partners Friday morning and Sunday morning. LFP area on Friday. Either local or southern CO on Sunday. Anyone up for La Plata Pk, CO early Sunday? Skipper?
JBella

Post by JBella »

Hey guys thanks for the good words! I'm glad this site is being used, hopefully we can spread the word and more people will be involved when the snow flies again. I'm definately in to meet at brewery pre season:) Kerry, wish I'd read your post yesterday I would've gotten up earlier and gone. Maybe see you at the Bav if they're open this afternoon, or Tim's, I'll be there for certain some time today. If you go for La Plata I hope it's a great day, the snowfield/glacier near the top used to be one of our favorite late summer/early autumn skiing zones when I lived in Leadville, I have some great memories of september and october pow turns up there.

A couple friends of mine have been skiing Drift, Fletcher, Atlantic, and Pacific the past couple weeks, conditions in that region look pretty nice after a decent April and May in the central Rockies. Seeing some pics of the Collegiates from BV taken yesterday, looks like La Plata and Indy Pass have some decent fresh snow.
Kerry

Post by Kerry »

Skinned up Kachina, walked ridge south to LFP, ski SE LFP, skinned/skied Sin Nombre, skied/walked out the Williams. (The really ugly line on looker's left of Sin Nombre; was dodging rocks.) Had to walk across the half mile of talus--is not skiable. Williams trail is not skiable. You can ski for 50-100 mtrs of post-holed trail, then walk for same... SE face of LFP is in good shape until you get to the moraine. N face Sin Nombre is in good shape, but not worth the walk across talus and the Williams trail. If I ski in there on Sun, and I might if I don't find a partner for La Plata Pk CO, I will climb Kachina, walk the ridge to LFP, ski the NW aspect of LFP back toward the base of Kachina, climb back-side Kachina, ski Kachina to Bavarian for a mahogany run. (Yes, Bav is open!) It might also be worthwhile to enter Wildy Bowl from Williams trail to climb what you ski, but all snow I found in trees was rotten, heavy, slow. (The route out of LFP NE bowl to Wildy has a lot of bare scree. "Dogleg" from the Kachina-LFP ridge does not have a continuous snow path down to the bowl.)
danshorb

Post by danshorb »

Kerry wrote:Skinned up Kachina, walked ridge south to LFP, ski SE LFP, skinned/skied Sin Nombre, skied/walked out the Williams.
Not bad for a family man Kerry. ;-) Sounds like things are closing down, and of course Kerry is there in the end... Good show Mr. Hanes.

I'm in on the NNMAE beer gathering. Especially if there's a slideshow and storyies from one of you expert types.
Kerry

Post by Kerry »

It was cooler this morning; I should have slept in a little. left BAV at 6:40, went over Kachina, ski a short run on SW side of Kachina, climbed LFP, skied a big windslab on the NW side of LFP to backside Kachina. Upper part of that run is steeper than I expected, couple pieces around 50-deg. It was frozen rock hard. (Toe pieces locked and fangs in hand!) Lower 2/3's was perfect corn. Returning on front-side Kachina, skied to top of Hunzinger chute, but found it too thin at top of chute, climbed out and took Mainstreet to BAV. Was able to ski down to the bottom of Show Off.
danshorb

Post by danshorb »

Kerry wrote:It was cooler this morning; I should have slept in a little. left BAV at 6:40, went over Kachina, ski a short run on SW side of Kachina, climbed LFP, skied a big windslab on the NW side of LFP to backside Kachina. Upper part of that run is steeper than I expected, couple pieces around 50-deg. It was frozen rock hard. (Toe pieces locked and fangs in hand!) Lower 2/3's was perfect corn. Returning on front-side Kachina, skied to top of Hunzinger chute, but found it too thin at top of chute, climbed out and took Mainstreet to BAV. Was able to ski down to the bottom of Show Off.
Nice Kerry

Perhaps Kerry earns the last NM turns of the year award:

unless someone has something else to add.
Bob

Post by Bob »

danshorb wrote:Nice Kerry

Perhaps Kerry earns the last NM turns of the year award:

unless someone has something else to add.
:mrgreen: Way to go...everyone!
scotthsu

Post by scotthsu »

Kudos to all on the late season NM turns. And thanks much to Jared for the incredible snowpack updates all season. He gets the first NNMAE shovel award :D Hope to see you all over a beer next fall. Enjoy the summer activities (including some more skiing in CO), and think El Nino thoughts!
Attachments
shovel2.jpg
shovel2.jpg (38.12 KiB) Viewed 6627 times
danshorb

Post by danshorb »

scotthsu wrote:Kudos to all on the late season NM turns. And thanks much to Jared for the incredible snowpack updates all season. He gets the first NNMAE shovel award :D Hope to see you all over a beer next fall. Enjoy the summer activities (including some more skiing in CO), and think El Nino thoughts!
good one Scott. Jared certainly deserves an award.
JBella

Post by JBella »

Kachina amidst the smoke from the Jemez and Pecos
Attachments
P6065804.JPG
P6065804.JPG (226.21 KiB) Viewed 6581 times