TSV/Wheeler Peak Region

Moderators: scotthsu, Bob, Matt, mark

Kerry

Re: TSV/Wheeler Peak Region

Post by Kerry »

@ Dan, LOL :D
For those still looking for a line, I posted some ideas in the Snow Reports section.
For next year, I'm thinking of organizing a rando race from TSV to Red River (11-mi), or return (22-mi). What's the level of interest for both racers and organizers?
JBobb

Post by JBobb »

I think a rando race would be excellent. I would love to keep in touch about that idea
Kerry

Post by Kerry »

Thanks, JBobb for the comment. I believe there were 12 people from Abq-SF area who registered in the Grand Traverse (Crested Butte-Aspen 40-miler)--a serious rando race. Tessa's (SF) usually draws maybe 60-80 racers including the kids. I think rando racing is growing in popularity. Someone involved with the Colorado COSMIC series of races has offered to help set up a Taos area race thinking it would appeal to those in Durango-Monarch-C Springs area. I made initial contact with the Forest Service. Appears we need a course that avoids the Wilderness Study Area. I plan to look at that boundary and thereafter pursue a permit. Anyone interested in organizing or competing in such an event, please PM me with contact info for future discussion, planning, picking of dates, charity benefit, etc.
scotthsu

Post by scotthsu »

Hey Kerry, depending on when, I'd be interested in helping you scout the course.
danshorb

Post by danshorb »

scotthsu wrote:Hey Kerry, depending on when, I'd be interested in helping you scout the course.
I'd be in on helping organize. I pressume it would be a spring event? What course route are you contemplating, BoftheW-Gold Hill-Pioneer creek?
The only two things you can truly depend on are Gravity and Greed. -Jack Palance
Kerry

Post by Kerry »

Dan, I need to check the Wilderness Study Area boundary, as NF Ranger is not willing to permit an event within the study area, which is on track for becoming wilderness. Unfortunately, this will rule out a course that goes over Gold Hill, which I would love to see. I think something along the lines of Twinings Trail to Bull of Woods yurt, then cross-country to a point roughly a mile downstream from Goose Lake, then a little right turn along an old road for a little, then through a small saddle south of Black Mountain, and along an old road near ridgeline to Red River ski area, and return, or vehicle return.
If the vision dwindles to just a few friends on a race that isn't advertised, but could be announced, then the Wilderness route is available. Just can't have organized competition in the Wilderness Study Area.
I think mid-winter through early April would have dependable conditions on this route. The route I described has very little avi hazard. (Nordic skiers might have advantage.)
JBella

Post by JBella »

This is a great idea Kerry, I'm down to help any way I can:)
Last edited by JBella on Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
JBella

Post by JBella »

Another (last of the season?) snow report. North side of Frazer Mountain yesterday. Snowpack 0-20" isothermal Springlike snow consisting of .5-1cm diameter granuals. Variable coverage. No visible/audible signs of instabilities. Temps low 60's winds west 5-15mph.
www.ridenorthside.com
www.ridenorthside.com
P6145910.2.jpg (179.91 KiB) Viewed 8221 times
Kachina
Kachina
P6145922.2.jpg (149.05 KiB) Viewed 8221 times
Lake Fork
Lake Fork
P6145921.2.jpg (110.14 KiB) Viewed 8221 times
danshorb

Post by danshorb »

JBella wrote:Another (last of the season?) snow report. North side of Frazer Mountain yesterday. Snowpack 0-20" isothermal Springlike snow consisting of .5-1cm diameter granuals. Variable coverage. No visible/audible signs of instabilities. Temps low 60's winds west 5-15mph.
That hilarious J.
The only two things you can truly depend on are Gravity and Greed. -Jack Palance