Heaven's Hill?

Moderators: mark, scotthsu, Bob, Matt

Heaven's Hill?

Postby cmcquade » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:09 am

Hello,

Has anyone been down heavens lately. My partner and I tried it last season, however it seems we missed the sweat spot as we stayed too far skiers left near the ridge line. I would like to go back and experience a better line.

also is it reasonable to approach it from bottom up, rather then up and around lake peak? Any experiences with this? Does it save any time?

thanks

c
cmcquade

Re: Heaven's Hill?

Postby anon » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:20 pm

PM sent

I haven't done Heaven's this year, although would like to.

You pretty much want to be heading North the entire descent. At the top you should be able to see SF Baldy straight ahead. You'll know you're in the right spot as long as you ski right at Baldy the whole time.
I think going from the bottom-up would be just fine...but you'll spend alot of time/energy just getting up and over on the Winsor just to get to the bottom of it. SFSA offers $15 two-pass rides, so you can get dropped off right below Deception Peak, which makes the tour out to the top of HH easy. Just my opinion.

hope that helps

cmcquade wrote:Hello,

Has anyone been down heavens lately. My partner and I tried it last season, however it seems we missed the sweat spot as we stayed too far skiers left near the ridge line. I would like to go back and experience a better line.

also is it reasonable to approach it from bottom up, rather then up and around lake peak? Any experiences with this? Does it save any time?

thanks

c
anon

Postby JohnS » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:57 am

Anon is right about the easiest(funest) way is to get the 2 lift pass. Marc B showed me a nice route last year and i think Bob has done this a number of times.

From the top of the Millennium head to the Nambe Chutes and drop in for a nice run to the bottom then skin up to the saddle between Lake Peak and the top of Heavens Hill. You can skin all the way up if the snow is right. Don't miss the Winsor Trail as you ski down Heavens Hill!

Of course the Nambe Chutes have a slope angle of 40 to 30 degress which is in the heart of avalanche terrain so the hike up and over Lake Peak is safer.

Here's a rough map.

http://www.imafirst.com/nambe/heavens.JPG
john savickas
JohnS

Postby Bob » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:08 am

Right you are, JohnS.

Here's an instructive TR from another forum:
http://www.telemarktalk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=53005
Bob

Expect Heaven's to be very good

Postby Kerry » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:53 pm

Based on my 1-21-09 (see snow report) trip down from saddle on Raven's ridge 1/4-mi west of Raven's peak that passes through somewhat treed, well shaded north slope that runs out on the Nambe Lake drainage about 1/4-mi below the Lake, I expect you'll find powder in the shaded north slopes, such as Heaven's.
Until we get fresh snow, I'd recommend skinning up the Windsor to the fence, along the fence and ridgeline to the saddle identified above, drop into the Nambe Lake drainage, skin up past the lake and up the west aspect to the saddle south of Heaven's Hill, ..., Windsor out.
Kerry

Re: Expect Heaven's to be very good

Postby Matt » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:36 am

Kerry wrote:Until we get fresh snow, I'd recommend skinning up the Windsor to the fence, along the fence and ridgeline to the saddle identified above, drop into the Nambe Lake drainage, skin up past the lake and up the west aspect to the saddle south of Heaven's Hill, ..., Windsor out.

This is probably the longest way, with the least amount of skiing....
Matt

Return to Northern New Mexico 2008-2009 Conditions