Dogs and skiing

Events of general interest to Northern New Mexico backcountry enthusiasts

Moderators: mark, scotthsu, Bob, Matt

Dogs and skiing

Postby sody » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:05 pm

I agree with lobojasper this should be separate thread.

So here we go:

"Dogs are a part of the backcountry culture here, and skiing in general. Anyone who isn't cool with other trail users and their dogs should consider going to places that aren't so crowded, where it's less likely to encounter them."

I encountered them in the ski area, hence we need to follow the rules that apply there. It is November and the special use permit is into effect (look at the snow making) and we should not piss off the ski area people in Santa Fe or otherwise we lose the opportunity to skin in the ski area boundary. And their rule: "Keep dogs on a leash at all times while in the ski area boundaries." So your argument is mute here.

Second, if people have their dog off leash, they need to have exceptional control of their dog aka, he/she will come to them no matter what. That is the control I expect a dog owner has. But due to the culture here, the minority, actually very few people have that kind of control of their dog. And i believe you that your dog is friendly, but what about the other dog. You have zero clue about their behavior. I always keep my dog on a leash because it would chase any squirl (and yes we have exceptional control on that dog, it is just high pray drive dog). On top of it, it would actually take other dogs out if it approached her. She is not dog aggressive but does not tolerate other dogs in her space (very big difference). But the other dog "just wants to play". People here have zero idea of dog behavior and are surprised every time a dog fight starts. I broke up a few of those.

Third, if you don't have control of your dog, it is actually a safety hazard for other people skiing in the backcountry. They don't know avy danger and actually can trigger avalanches.

I am cool with people having their dogs out, they just need to be UNDER CONTROL or LEASHED!
sody

Re: Dogs and skiing

Postby Bob » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:59 pm

Dogs are required to be kept on a leash at the Santa Fe ski area because 1) employees have been bitten by dogs owned by people skinning, and 2) skinners' dogs have chased skiers, and snow cats and employees on snowmobiles, getting in the way of workers.

Dogs in the backcountry should be off leash only so long as their owners can keep strict control of them, which obviously isn't universal so I don't believe in a universal 'dogs are fine in the bc.' Maybe dog owners should go farther into the bc where there aren't so many people.
Bob

Postby JBella » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:06 am

I agree with most of these sentiments. My gripe in my response was because it didn't specify it was at the ski area and seemed like another general comment complaining about other trail users in an obviously and expectedly crowded area, which seems to be a recurring trend that certain individuals don't want to see other people on our Public Lands. As it was about the ski area not in the backcountry, yea Santa Fe's ski area probably isn't a great place to bring untrained dogs, taking that up with the people involved and the local authorities who are tasked with dealing with those specific situations may be proper. As far as in the backcountry ~ it's annoying when mine and my friends' dogs who are properly trained, under control and/or leashed are regularly berated by other people just for having our dogs with us when we are completely within the bounds of ethics, and the law. It happens pretty regularly when we're hiking up a trail and I step off to the side to let other people pass and they have a snide comment about our companions. Most people are cool and nice, so the ones who aren't really stick out. Most of us keep our dogs leashed when we're hiking up a trail and other people are around, when we're riding down that wouldn't be safe or practical. We aren't going to leave our dogs at home, and we're not going to keep them on a leash while riding a line. Also you won't often see me and my dog in a ski area where it's usually crowded.
JBella

Postby sody » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:50 pm

My fault, should have specified the ski area.

I think we have quite on the same opinion. As long as they are well trained and under control (like your dogs are), that is great. Take them, and have fun. They should be out and have fun.

And don't worry, I am not the one who actually curses people out on the trail as long as the dogs leave me alone. Mostly I don't trust trust dogs that I don't know. And I don't fault the dog, we humans screw them up by putting them in situations they usually should not be in the first place. A lot of people however have a hard time reading the dogs, its behavior and signs it gives off.
sody

Postby Dorman » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:18 pm

My dog can sometimes be a jerk to other dogs. She's a rescue and has some issues. I only take her to Mt. Taylor or deep in SF back country.
Dorman

Return to Community