New to New Mexico--Looking to do some spring touring

Rides, rendezvouses, partners - because it's better with someone else

Moderators: Bob, Matt, mark, scotthsu

New to New Mexico--Looking to do some spring touring

Postby AlexAdams » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:48 pm

What's up everyone,
My name's Alex; I just moved to Los Alamos last July. I've been skiing Taos and southern Colorado all winter, and it's been a great time. Now with resorts closing up and temperatures starting to rise, I'm looking to get some spring backcountry tours in. I have moderate backcountry experience. I've taken Avy 1 and multiple smaller non-certified courses in the past. I moved here from Montana from both the Bozeman/Whitefish areas, and got out touring maybe half a dozen times a year. So, I'm no expert, but I am no novice either.

Anyway, the Williams Lake drainage looks really fun. You guys have posted a BUNCH of helpful data/pictures about that area. Also, I want to spend some big days in the Truchas mountains if possible. I've found some helpful info about skiing there, but it is definitely more remote and less skied than the Williams Lake area. Have any of you guys done tours there? (I've been there in the summer, and it looks like a beautiful place to ski)

If you are looking for touring partners this spring, please let me know! It's been more difficult than I thought it would be meeting backcountry enthusiasts here.

alexadamsk2@hotmail.com

Also, I know there are other threads of this nature on this site. I apologize for the redundancy, but I wanted to create something more specific instead of using an old thread.
AlexAdams

Re: New to New Mexico--Looking to do some spring touring

Postby scotthsu » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:23 am

welcome to NM, Alex. I hope to get up to Williams Lake a few times later this month, will send you an email.

Cheers,
Scott
scotthsu

Postby Bob » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:16 am

I've toured to the Middle Truchas during the spring, and I'm dying to hit South Truchas but this year's snowpack isn't making that look like fun. danshorb here has skied South Truchas - it's a bit of a slog, almost certainly an overnight trip. velocity has skied the cirque above Trampas Lake, on the north end of the Truchas group.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=206 <-velocity[s trip
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=209 <= mine (with velocity)

danshorb's TR seems to have vanished into binary purgatory. It was on summitpost.org, but seems to have been deleted. There's a picture from the top of S. Truchas here:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=365
Bob

Postby danshorb » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:41 pm

That's the pic of Bob's Couloir. It still has his name on it, unless, someone steals it…

Welcome Adam. I'd be interested in hanging, although I've got a bunch of work and other plans right now.

Truchas suck, never go. There's nothing back there. and, its not worth the slog. No awesome untouched couloirs, no sweet open faces, no lonely backcountry… just go to Pajarito to ski instead, the snow's much better there I hear... I also hear that its the only place on earth that light can only be measured as a particle, which explains the lack of snow.

I miss the Truchas trip report, and pics, but had to get off Summitpost before I reveal all my secrets.
The only two things you can truly depend on are Gravity and Greed. -Jack Palance
danshorb

Postby AlexAdams » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:28 pm

Scott, Bob, and Dan, Thank you very much for the quick responses.

Scott, that would be great if you could let me know about Williams Lake adventures! I really apreciate it. I can go most Sundays, and every other Friday (B schedule at the lab). I'm booked saturdays for a little while.

Bob, those trips look great. Putting a couple days together like that looks really fun, thanks for the links.

Dan, haha my name is Alex. Adam(s) is my last name. It's weird, I get that all the time. And Pajarito is looking super good right now, no dirt or anything, just a bunch of pow. So I'll probably hit it up this weekend haha.
AlexAdams

Return to Hook ups