Boxcar, Sultan, or other SJ outings.

Rides, rendezvouses, partners - because it's better with someone else

Moderators: Bob, Matt, mark, scotthsu

Boxcar, Sultan, or other SJ outings.

Postby danshorb » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:18 pm

We're doing the Boxcar couloir on Saturday the 13th. It'll be my wife and I. If you are in the area and would be interested in meeting up just let me know.
The only two things you can truly depend on are Gravity and Greed. -Jack Palance
danshorb

Re: Boxcar, Sultan, or other SJ outings.

Postby chrishami » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:25 am

I'll be in that area this weekend as well. Saturday I'll be at Silverton Mountain, but if you are around on Friday I will be touring somewhere on Red mountain pass...
chrishami

Postby Kerry » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:23 pm

Please post your Sultan/Molas conditions. Couple of us are looking at the Sultans (upside down V couloir) and Naked Lady (south of Molas) for 25-27 Apr. Alternatively looking at La Plata Pk on the east side of Independence Pass too. Thanks!
Kerry

Postby danshorb » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:05 pm

chrishami wrote:I'll be in that area this weekend as well. Saturday I'll be at Silverton Mountain, but if you are around on Friday I will be touring somewhere on Red mountain pass...

We've decided against the SJ outings Chrishami. We were just going for a night and a day, but can't justify it with the conditions. Like Kerry asked, please do post conditions. And, have a good trip.
The only two things you can truly depend on are Gravity and Greed. -Jack Palance
danshorb

Postby chrishami » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:01 am

Kerry wrote:Please post your Sultan/Molas conditions. Couple of us are looking at the Sultans (upside down V couloir) and Naked Lady (south of Molas) for 25-27 Apr. Alternatively looking at La Plata Pk on the east side of Independence Pass too. Thanks!

Sorry for the slow reply. I can't speak directly to those locations: I skied Red Mountain #3 on Friday April 12 and Anvil Mountain on Saturday the 13th. There was a backcountry snowboarding event going on all weekend around Silverton and so I do know for certain (without knowing exactly who rode what) people rode both the Wishbone (assuming that is the same as upside down V) as well as Naked Lady. The general consensus I heard was "variable conditions, average to good." Personally we found the snow above 11000 on N aspects was quite good, lower and more towards W was not so good. Then again, on Sunday up to a foot of fresh fell on Red Mountain pass, we did not go out that day as we were driving back home to NM.

I do know there was additional snowfall yesterday on top of the Sun/Mon storm, as well as severe wind including dust this week, and so I have no idea of conditions at the moment. Seems like fresh windslabs might be the concern. CAIC is calling all aspects moderate at and above treeline.

I think this weekend could be very nice at lower elevations, supposed to stay cold up there with some more very slight snowfall. Hmm, tempted to try and sneak north once more...
chrishami

Postby danshorb » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:40 pm

Thanks Chrishami.

I am planning on heading up to the San Juans for Saturday, and possibly Sunday. Looks like both the conditions and weather will cooperate.

Would love to have a partner. Currently my #1 goal is Boxcar Couloir on Wilson, and possibly a tour in the Sultan group. I'm open to similar option too. Give a holler if you may be interested.

My current plan is to leave directly from work at 3:15 from ABQ, camp at lizardhead pass Fri. night. up at 3:30am Sat for a start on wilson...
sounds fun dont it.

danshorb at hot mail dot com
danshorb

Postby chrishami » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:26 pm

Email sent.
chrishami

Postby danshorb » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:14 pm

danshorb

Postby danshorb » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:23 pm

A few shots from Mt. Wilson

danshorb

Postby scotthsu » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:43 pm

awesome, Dan. Glad you made it out there!
scotthsu

Postby danshorb » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:09 pm

scotthsu wrote:awesome, Dan. Glad you made it out there!

Word. Thanks Scott. You up in Taos next Sat? I'm thinking of skiing Vallecito and LFP
danshorb

Postby scotthsu » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:30 pm

Dan, not at this point, but will let you know if I end up there.
scotthsu

Return to Hook ups