Backcountry in Santa Fe

Rides, rendezvouses, partners - because it's better with someone else

Moderators: mark, scotthsu, Bob, Matt

Backcountry in Santa Fe

Postby HooserDooser » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:55 pm

I was riding the ski area Jan but now have blacked out pass. After replacing some broken bc gear I will be able to ski the hill before work on the weekdays. Sans the occasional trip to Taos I will be looking to ski some backcountry any given weekend morning this February, March, and Hopefully April. Tesuque trees are a blast and I will be into those as well. Does anyone here get out early in the mornings? I do need some work on my snow pit analysis and would greatly appreciate any guidance. After reading some more reports on the snow in the area I am a humbled as this snowpack is much different than I am used to. As spring approaches I hope to snag a couple lines. I have basic backcountry travel and rescue techniques.

Peter
HooserDooser

Re: Backcountry in Santa Fe

Postby MarkM » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:33 pm

Depending on conditions, a few of us try to go out once a week before work (usually meet around 7:00, do a quick climb/run, and get back to town before 9:30). Sometimes we go up early, do a climb, and then run lifts for a few hours. We also usually try to do at least one tour on the weekends - again - depending on snow.

I don't post too often because we tend to be pretty spontaneous.

Mark

983-5870 or mortierml@yahoo.com
MarkM

Postby MarkM » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:05 pm

Maybe a tour Saturday or Sunday - depending on whether this storm delivers. If Saturday - maybe Williams Lake area. If Sunday, more local, morning to mid-afternoon only.

MM
MarkM

Postby MarkM » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:03 pm

A couple of us will probably do Heavens Hill Sunday - no details yet but leave Santa FE 8-ish.

4-5 hour tour, strenuous, some alpine ridge hiking to get there

Mark M
MarkM

Postby HooserDooser » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:07 am

Awesome.

Mark,

I am usually up at the hill about 45 min before 7 on the weekdays but that is only because I have to make it to the south west side of town for work. Now that I have some new gear I should be up there more frequently. Lets hope it does not get to warm next week.

I am in to join on a trip out to Heaven's Hill. I am guessing you want to skin up the ski hill. If you are riding the chair I do not have a pass but I think they still sell hikers tickets. I have just been up most of the night with a little one who has been puking so this assumes I do not come down with the same bug so I will will see if I can contact you by phone and email with a more solid answer today. Enough BioK and water and I should be good to go.

Otherwise let me know if your plans change. I was previously thinking about skiing the ferns up high on Tesuque a good ways south of the radio towers and then climbing back to ski the aspens to the Tesuque parking lot (although I am worried about the coverage in the aspen area). I am pysched to see some more bc out towards the good stuff.

Peter
HooserDooser

Postby Kerry » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:04 pm

Looking for ski partners for Tue or Wed this week. SF or elsewhere for day trip. Ring-a-ling 505.463.8434. Can carpool from Abq. Kerry, Avi 2
Kerry

Postby aaron » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:10 pm

Looking to get out Friday, hopefully ski Nambe or Heaven's

-aaron

303-669-8228
aaron

Postby HooserDooser » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:54 pm

Will do a tour on Sunday. Conditions have changed a lot but the skiing in protected North Facing trees should be good as I found today. Looking to get out in SF area Sunday.

Pete

410-340-7040
HooserDooser

Postby HooserDooser » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:03 am

Anyone for Sun. Ravens Ridge, Nambe?
HooserDooser

Return to Hook ups