Pecos Wilderness: Heaven's Hill

Rides, rendezvouses, partners - because it's better with someone else

Moderators: mark, scotthsu, Bob, Matt

Pecos Wilderness: Heaven's Hill

Postby colin » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:15 pm

Hi all, I plan to ski a lot this coming week between x-mas and new years and looking for people to ski with. I am seriously thinking of setting up a base camp along the Windsor trail in the heaven's hill area in hopes of spending a few nights up there for extra skiing. I have just completed the avy level one course and have been skiing the windsor trail area for years.

I am from Abq, so let me know if you're intersted in BC skiing in the mountains of: Sandia, Santa Fe, Taos, or Chama/Wolf Creek

My plan: Sandia 12/24&25, Santa Fe 12/26-29 or further north 27-31

I also plan to hit Silverton Mountain again this season early/mid January.

If you happen across my camp (not too close to the trail) stop in for some hot chocolate!
colin

Re: Pecos Wilderness: Heaven's Hill

Postby Bob » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:39 am

colin wrote:If you happen across my camp (not too close to the trail) stop in for some hot chocolate!

8) Nice invite!
Bob

Postby MarkM » Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:54 pm

Colin:

I'm in Santa Fe...

We have a small mixed group forming to go out and do something Monday morning - but this is probably not the group to do Heavens. More likely the Lost Fork or some variation. (We did the Lost Fork today and it was great - boot-top and creamy!)

Probably just a few hours at a moderate pace.

If that sounds interesting to you give me a ring: 505-983-5870

Otherwise, know that we usually do one longer tour each weekend - unless conditions at the lifts are too good to ignore - and next weekend our passes aren't good....

MM
MarkM

Postby Jr » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:08 pm

Hi Colin,

You're probably sipping hot chocolate in your tent on the Windsor right now, but I wouldn't mind hitting Heaven's Hill Wednesday or Thursday. Wish I woulda seen this earlier...sounds fantastic.

If anybody's up for a trip either of those days, let me know. I might just end up trolling the ski area one of those mornings to see if I can find somebody to drop into Nambe with me.

Bryce
505-231-7512
I'm the kind of kid who goes down chutes too narrow, just eeking out my measly pie.
-The Shins
Jr

Postby colin » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:13 pm

I only brought one packet of hot chocolate and I didn't even set up my tent one of the nights, glad no one stopped by! Slept up there on the 28th and again on the 1st. The skiing was great on heaven's hill all four days, several other tracks by the 1st so others must be having fun there too.

The snow up there just never seems to get ruined, only a little windblown on the ridges but otherwise perfect in the trees. So I decided to leave my gear and plan to visit many more times this season. Needing to bring only food and clothes makes for an easy ski in and out. Post a reply if you're interested in joining me either this coming weekend or next. I've never done the Nambe chutes but am interested with the right group.
colin

Return to Hook ups