EXPLORATORY TOUR THIS WEEKEND

Rides, rendezvouses, partners - because it's better with someone else

Moderators: mark, scotthsu, Bob, Matt

EXPLORATORY TOUR THIS WEEKEND

Postby MarkM » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:04 am

I'm interested in doing an "exploratory" ski tour this weekend - either day. Nothing too early or too extreme - maybe the back side of Raven's Ridge? I'm open to ideas.

I really don't know what the base/cover/avi situation is - some of the tree skiing has been ok if you think light thoughts and bring rock skis.

Mark
MarkM

Re: EXPLORATORY TOUR THIS WEEKEND

Postby MarkM » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:05 am

oh yeah - 920-2481

M
MarkM

Postby Kerry » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:55 pm

Mark, how about Mon-Tue on 7-8 Feb near TSV? Joel and I are thinking Williams area. --Kerry
Kerry

Postby MarkM » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:35 pm

Can't do that - weekdays are always tough for me except for the occasional short dawn or dusk patrol.

But we have found some good routes above the lake and back down - go up just past the lake, on lookers right, up thru the trees, and on up into the basin south of Lake Fork Peak. You can get quite high and avoid any serious avalanche terrain, if you watch where you are going. Makes for a decent run back to the lake, following your uptrack. Then from the lake skin back up to the top of the first bench on the left and ski the tress on the left side of the valley back down to the wilderness sign. (If you do this - do a post on your experience.)

Might do a Lost Fork Sat AM - gotta be back in town by noon for a wedding, though. Sunday probably lifts at TSV .

MM
MarkM

Postby Kerry » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:20 pm

Mark,

I have seen that entire south bowl SE of LFP, also know as the south part of the "W", rip out from about 30' below the cornice/ridgeline, run to ground almost to the depression that becomes a pond in the Spring (well below the center rib of the "W"). Was a hard slab. The crown was over .25 mi wide from cliff to cliff.

I'm curious about the return path you described. Have always dismissed that area because the trees look thicker than enjoyable. Noticed your recent post on the topic.

Will be @ TSV all weekend with family. Ring if you want to link up for lunch.

Kerry 463.8434
Kerry

Postby scotthsu » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:39 pm

Kerry, looks like we'll be at TSV on Saturday, so let's definitely hook up for a run! will call you from the slopes.
scotthsu

Return to Hook ups