Lake Fork Pk slide partially buries 1 on Apr 18

Moderators: mark, scotthsu, Bob, Matt

Lake Fork Pk slide partially buries 1 on Apr 18

Postby Kerry » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:32 am

Slide report with pictures is on the snow report page.
Plenty of snow in Wheeler area too. Comparing the reports between Santa Fe and Taos leaves me with impression that Taos was warmer than Nambe this weekend.
We skied the north side of the rib that juts E of Lake Fork Pk, skinned out of the bowl to the summit, skied the SE aspect of Lake Fork Pk, where the slide occurred, then skinned to top of Sin Nombre ridge above the wide open flank for final run to the truck.
In Wheeler cirque, with exception of skier-triggered wet, loose R1D1+, all recent activity was sluff from rocks. Looking SW from Sin Nombre, however, we saw numerous loose wet slides on SE aspects; some were bigger than the one we triggered on LFP. Nice day with some practical lessons!
Posts: 283
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:17 am
Location: Albuquerque

Postby scotthsu » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:18 am

hope everyone is OK; sounds like you guys are. what time of day did the slide occur? we noticed obvious signs of previous wet slides and roller-ball stuff in the Nambe Chutes yesterday as well, although conditions were stable while we were in there (around noon).
Last edited by scotthsu on Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Posts: 298
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:47 pm
Location: Los Alamos, NM

Postby Bob » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:28 am

Ho-leee shit! Glad that turned out basically all right. Thanks for posting this first-hand reminder that just because it's spring doesn't mean we're out of the woods as far as slides go.
User avatar
Posts: 548
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:10 am
Location: Santa Fe

Postby Kerry » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:46 am

Scott Hsu wrote: "what time of day did the slide occur?"

2:30 pm. Departing the TH earlier than our 9:15 departure and not spending so much time climbing along the occassional knife edge along the top of the rib that justs E from LFP, would have put us on the SE slope in better, but not necessarily slide proof conditions.

Here's a link to additional pictures from same day: ... directlink In them you'll see 3 additional skiers who were with us until our decision to head to Sin Nombre from LFP.
Posts: 283
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:17 am
Location: Albuquerque

Return to Northern New Mexico 2009-2010 Conditions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest