Jemez Mountains

Moderators: mark, scotthsu, Bob, Matt

Jemez Mountains

Postby scotthsu » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:08 pm

This El Nino winter has graced the Jemez Mtns with a snowpack not seen in possibly a decade or more. We went out this morning to take advantage of it, doing a nice ski tour of UN 9950 and Rabbit Mtn (just south of the Valle Grande). Nice fluffy powder on northerly aspects with no signs of instabilities.
scotthsu

Postby AaronA » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:32 pm

What a difference a couple weeks makes! We (Jemezdave) and I did a dawn patrol tour of Rabbit on 3/11. While we didn't notice any signs of instability, the snow on the main face from the top had been baked some. I'm hoping to do it again in the next couple weeks and hopefully hit the corn window.
AaronA

Postby AaronA » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:46 pm

Ah, spring snowpack. Snow is getting sloppy in the afternoon...Did a PM tour of the Los Griegos Peak area in the Jemez today with Rusty the dog. Snow was sticking to the skins on the way up, was highly variable (firm in the shade, glue-like in the sun). Rusty didn't complain.

If you are tackling more serious endeavors, it's the time of year to make sure you get your skiing done in in the morning, which may mean an early start.
AaronA

southerly aspects are in

Postby scotthsu » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:16 pm

i skirted along the Pajarito-VCNP boundary this afternoon and am happy to report that (significant new accumulations notwithstanding) southerly aspects in the Jemez above 9500' should have a nice spring/corn window for the next week or two before they start melting out (which will probably happen quickly). i already noticed some grass poking through on the S aspect of Chicoma.
scotthsu

Postby danshorb » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:03 pm

Thanks Scott,

We went to Raven's Ridge north-facing trees Sunday and had great fresh snow. Have you heard or seen how the northerly aspects are healing up? I didn't think a pit in the trees would tell me much about how Nambe or Santa Fe Baldy's open-air northern aspects would be fairing...

South facing was slop-on-crust at all the elevations we were at.
The only two things you can truly depend on are Gravity and Greed. -Jack Palance
danshorb

Postby scotthsu » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:18 pm

sorry, i don't have any firsthand info on northerly aspects in the Nambe chutes or SF Baldy vicinity, been wondering myself about how well "healed" stuff is getting due to the few days of warm weather we're having, since i'm itching to hit something in the williams lake area toward the end of the week if storms hold off.
scotthsu

Postby danshorb » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:54 am

scotthsu wrote:sorry, i don't have any firsthand info on northerly aspects in the Nambe chutes or SF Baldy vicinity, been wondering myself about how well "healed" stuff is getting due to the few days of warm weather we're having, since i'm itching to hit something in the williams lake area toward the end of the week if storms hold off.

Wish i could head out with you. Would love to hear what you find if you do get out. Have fun...
The only two things you can truly depend on are Gravity and Greed. -Jack Palance
danshorb

Postby scotthsu » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:36 pm

we're staying slopeside at TSV through Sunday, got some good views of the Wheeler ridge this afternoon. Looks like it's possible to get a summit ski descent off Wheeler right now. Also, several of the west-facing avy chutes north of Wheeler look quite good with ski tracks in several of them. We ended up leaving our bc gear at home for this trip to max out our lift-served skiing before the lifts shut down. However, we hope to come right back up here over the next few weekends to get the Wheeler summit ski descent (which Amy hasn't done yet)!
scotthsu

Return to Northern New Mexico 2009-2010 Conditions