extending the season in CO

Moderators: mark, scotthsu, Bob, Matt

Postby scotthsu » Wed May 20, 2009 3:01 pm

Thanks Bob, I'd been waiting for your report. It's too bad since Yankee Boy Basin has such nice road access. Looks like you guys made the most of it (and probably got free "stone grinds" on your bases)! I'd highly recommend the Ten Mile Mosquito range if you're looking to get out for Memorial weekend. Weather forecasts are not cooperating too well, though.

Chuck, thanks for the beta on Lincoln.
scotthsu

Postby Brian » Wed May 20, 2009 5:07 pm

Bob wrote:Hi everyone,

My advice is to avoid the San Juan Mtns for the rest of the season. I just got back from Sneffels and the snow was the worst crap I've ever seen. The dust layer was thick on top and the heat and dust combined to make it a real mess.

Yikes, I was up at the top of Lavender on 5/30/08 and had this:

I hung up the skis two weeks ago after I skied Lake Fork Peak, based on all the reports it looked pretty bad in the San Juans.
Brian

Castle or Elbert conditions?

Postby ecoredneck » Thu May 21, 2009 9:01 pm

Hi all - Wondering if anybody's checked out any lines on Crystal or Elbert this mid to late May? Is it gross and yucky like Sneffel's? I.e., sun cupped and dirty glop? Thanks for any help/beta!
ecoredneck

indy pass

Postby scotthsu » Sun May 31, 2009 5:45 pm

just got back from a quick 1-day'r to Independence Pass. Skied a NW facing couloir below "Blue Peak" (13711'), one of CO's 200 highest peaks (called Twining Peak on USGS maps). Snows from last week covered up the nasty dust layer, and we got a pretty good run. The whole basin north of the "Upper Hairpin" turn on CO 82 (~11400' on the Aspen side) is good bang for the buck, probably for another few days, and then we'll have to hope for another "refresher" dusting. Anyone else been getting out still?

edit: TR here.
scotthsu

Postby MarkM » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:10 am

We were also up there over the weekend.

Conditions were OK - the weather was a little sketchy at times, the snow a little brown in places, and although it froze hard at night, it it got kinda soft on the south and east aspects pretty quick. But we got several climbs/runs in on different aspects and elevations, and had a pretty good time. No good photos, though, I forgot my camera and had to use my phone.

Wish I had another weekend to get back up there.

MM
MarkM

Re: indy pass

Postby Bob » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:08 pm

scotthsu wrote:...Anyone else been getting out still?

I just got back from a trip to Wyoming and Utah. I skied a rarther thrilling run on the Skillet Glacier on Mt. Moran (WY) and a mellower cool chute in the Stansburys (UT).

Moran:

Deseret Peak:

More pictures here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/sangredecristo/MtMoran609
http://picasaweb.google.com/sangredecri ... PeakUT6609

However, at this point I may be forced to accept the presence of summer.
Bob

Re: indy pass

Postby scotthsu » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:13 am

Bob wrote:However, at this point I may be forced to accept the presence of summer.

say it ain't so Bob. i'm slowly coming to grips with this myself :(
scotthsu

Previous

Return to Northern New Mexico 2008-2009 Conditions