SFSA 4/17 anyone?

Moderators: Bob, Matt, mark, scotthsu

SFSA 4/17 anyone?

Postby clmbnski » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:21 pm

I think I might skin Santa Fe tomorrow. Anyone know how the powder that we got last weekend is shaping up? If anyone wants to go, let me know.

Chris
clmbnski

Re: SFSA 4/17 anyone?

Postby Bob » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:33 pm

clmbnski wrote:I think I might skin Santa Fe tomorrow. Anyone know how the powder that we got last weekend is shaping up? If anyone wants to go, let me know.

I skinned up yesterday (Wednesday) and it has been warm up there and the snow has gotten heavier. It was a bit gloppy in the open, but I skied Big Rocks Chute 4 and it was surprisingly good and I had a great run. My advice is to avoid crust by going a little later and to stay in the trees as much as possible.

Then again, it might snow tonight according to the wx reports. :mrgreen:
Bob

Postby Kerry » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:24 pm

Chris, I wish I could join tomorrow. Am looking to go on Tues; driving up from Albuquerque. Want to go again next week?
Kerry

Postby Bob » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:41 pm

OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG!

I got a pass from work today and went up (clmbnski, was that you I met in the shack at the peak?). Anyway, it was awesome - a foot to a foot and a half of da kine fresh. Boiling up over my knees, and face shots when I got my speed up. Truly an enjoyable afternoon in an unexpected dump. More of the best skiing of the year.

Some sluffs on the steeper stuff, but I stayed mostly in the trees and nothing slid. I didn't venture out into any open bowls or chutes on the upper mountain.

The road was a bit of a mess though. Exercise care if you go up soon...and you should go up soon.

Someone told me that they went up to look at Lake Peak and the cornices and slides were pretty serious.
Bob

Postby clmbnski » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:32 pm

Well I was definitely at the shack. Bob, did you have the dog, or were you with another person?

I found the skiing to be a bit challenging due to the fact that I was sinking to the previous storm layer and plowing through the foot of new snow. I think I will head back up tomorrow with fatter skis and I bet the snow will be even better with a little consolidation. However, I think tomorrow will be a high avy danger day as the new snow didn't seem to be bonding well with the old.

Chris
clmbnski

Postby Bob » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:00 pm

clmbnski wrote:Well I was definitely at the shack. Bob, did you have the dog, or were you with another person?

Sorry for not responding promptly Chris. I didn't have a dog and I was alone. I ran into someone in the shack that I know from the shop that I think posts here, and I thought it might have been you.
Bob

Return to Northern New Mexico 2008-2009 Conditions