Nambe Basin

Moderators: mark, scotthsu, Bob, Matt

Nambe Basin

Postby youngc » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:39 pm

Hey Folks,
I was thinking about skiing tommorrow in the trees northwest of the Acheron run. Does anyone know how this new snow has bonded? Is it wind-loaded or will the trees at least partially prevent that?
youngc

Acheron

Postby Kerry » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:58 pm

Take a look at my snow report. Prior to the most recent storm, I found crossloaded areas that produced easy hand shears in three places while climbing up the avi chute in Acheron that leads you up past the tall cliff band to the peak on Ravens ridge. I had skied down the west part of Acheron, mostly in the trees and found stable conditions.

I'm interested in going on Tuesday next week.
Kerry

Postby Bob » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:11 pm

I should have contacted you Kerry, but at the last moment today I decided to go up to Deception "just to check it out."

When I got there, it looked so smooth and nice that I dropped in to the main chute (Rubicon) for "just a few turns" and to do a little testing. I ski cut, poked and dug and it seemed so stable that I went ahead and skied the whole thing.

The skiing was nice, though I was pretty tentative trying to ski cut and stopping a lot. I think I was the first person in there since the last storm. The snow pack is kind of complex and changes within a few feet, but everything I checked was well bonded. The top was windbuffed, the middle was nicely settled powder and the lower part was a bit mushy (around 1230pm).

I put in a boot track up the boot out chute (Styx), and found really mixed, yet stable conditions. Up near the top I came across and old skin track that someone put in getting out of Styx from the choke up through the top!

Anyway, sorry for not getting ahold of you Kerry.
Last edited by Bob on Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob

I'd been there

Postby Kerry » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:40 pm

Bob, I'd been there. I guess you got to call me a scaredy cat for not going alone in there.

Anyone want to go for an early run on Fri?
Kerry

Postby Bob » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:19 pm

I got corrected today on the chute names. Apparently I skied down Nirvana and booted out Rubicon. <sigh> I think I may stick with my own names - the first chute off Deception and the boot-out chute.

Some pictures from my 4/21 trip into the Nambé:

Cool looking cornice between Deception and Lake Peak:

My tracks:

Boot tracks and my ski tracks in the bottom:
Bob

Postby Bob » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:52 pm

A couple more pictures from a really pleasant tour into the Nambé today, 4/27:

Vibeke tops out on Deception:

My favorite internet stalker:

Vi rips it up in the Nambé:

Ready to boot back out:

Conditions around noon were variable - chalky up top and softening on the way down. It was nice to have a well-established boot track.

The ski area around 1:30 was crusty in the trees, soft in the sun.
Bob

Return to Northern New Mexico 2008-2009 Conditions