Sunset Patrol, Santa Fe ski area 4/11

Moderators: Bob, Matt, mark, scotthsu

Sunset Patrol, Santa Fe ski area 4/11

Postby Bob » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:14 pm

So things are a little slow at work today and it's been raining/snowing all day in town. I beg out of the shop a couple hours early and run home to grab my stuff and head up the hill. The drive up was a little wild with snow accumulating on the road, but I start skinning up the ski hill around 5:30pm. There's a few people coming down, all with huge smiles on. The snow is about 6 inches in the parking lot and gets deeper as I go up. It's snowing pretty good, and as I get near the top of Tesuque Peak, it's foggy.

I top out, rip skins, click in, and as I push off the snow's close to a foot deep. Then the sky starts clearing, and by the time I'm a few hundred yards down, the snow is deep and the sun's breaking through. I head down through some trees and get giddy over the great fresh snow and the sunlight dappling down. I break out into an open area and see the clouds below in the valley are turning red and purple and the sun is blazing on the horizon.

More powder turns and beautiful views, and way too soon, it's over. But what a run - one of the best of the season!

I'd suggest Santa Feans get out on Easter and get some powder skiing. The road up may be a little icy, so allow yourself some extra time for the drive. I think it's going to be a great Easter for skiing. Enjoy!
Bob

Postby Bob » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:53 pm

And today - 4/12 - was pretty good too.
Bob

Postby Bob » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:33 am

Bob wrote:And today - 4/12 - was pretty good too.

How good was it? I skied with three other patrollers and one of them shot some helmet cam video. It was this good:
http://www.vimeo.com/4125333

Whoo, hoo!
Bob

sweet video!

Postby Kerry » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:22 pm

Nice camera work! Wish I could have been there. Looking for an opportunity on Tuesday. Anyone interested?
Kerry

Return to Northern New Mexico 2008-2009 Conditions