William's Lake Basin Beta?

Moderators: mark, scotthsu, Bob, Matt

Re: wheeler beta?

Postby Brian » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:52 am

scotthsu wrote:anyone notice recently whether any lines on the west slope of Wheeler are skiable from the top or near the top? thanks!

Scott, I'll post a couple pics I took of Wheeler on 4/25 later today. It did look like you could ski the west face from almost the top.

Last edited by Brian on Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian

Postby brownp2k » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:44 am

brij0626 wrote:I am working up in Costilla on Fri and am planning on camping out at TSV on Fri night and then touring on Sat. so if anyone is interested on skiing up there Sat. let me know.

Check your email. ;)
brownp2k

Lake Fork Peak or Kachina Sunday?

Postby MarkM » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:27 pm

A couple of us are planning on Lake Fork Peak on Sunday - although the weather forecast is looking a little sketchy right now. If it is too stormy - we might opt of Kachina instead (a known quantity).

Leave DeVargas Mall Santa Fe 6:45. Give a call or email if interested in joining us - the more the merrier? Safety in numbers?

Mark 920-2481
MarkM

Postby Brian » Sat May 02, 2009 4:46 pm

Did a brief tour into the Williams Lake Basin today. Based on the weather reports I expected the storm to roll in mid day, but it started snowing back there before 7:00, and it was snowing at a pretty good rate by mid morning.

Due to time constraints we just went up a ways towards Sin Nombre, but we were able to get some nice turns on the 1" or so of new snow.

Passed Rob, TJ and few others on the way out, so those guys should have some good info on what transpired up there. Should be pretty nice back there after this storm.

Bob wrote:Just want to say that I'm enjoying the TRs a lot. Way to go.

Anyone available for a Wms Lake tour mid-week next week?

Based on what was going on up there today, I think I am going to have to head back up there soon, so I might be up for a tour up there mid week.
Brian

9 am Bavarian

Postby Kerry » Sat May 02, 2009 4:58 pm

Shayne & I are planning on arriving at the Bavarian parking lot at 9am Sun morning to tour through Williams Lake. Have the west aspect of Wheeler planned, but open to suggestions. Leaving abq just before 6; call if you want a ride...463-8434.
Kerry

Postby Bob » Sat May 02, 2009 6:56 pm

brij0626 wrote:
Bob wrote:JAnyone available for a Wms Lake tour mid-week next week?

Based on what was going on up there today, I think I am going to have to head back up there soon, so I might be up for a tour up there mid week.

Cool. Let me know.
Bob

May 3 trip report

Postby Kerry » Sun May 03, 2009 9:20 pm

Shayne & I left the Bavarian parking lot at 9 am (May 3), skinned from the parking lot up past Williams Lake to a 12,723' spot on the ridge top about 300m south of Lake Fork Pk by 11:35 am. Snow was in great shape with approx 8cm of dense fresh snow on top of a very firm base in areas above Williams Lake. (Approx 3cm fresh near Bavarian.) Was able to skin all the way to the ridge top. Skiing down, on the same SE aspect we just climbed, on a buttery surface we dropped about 1000' to the bottom of the north aspect of Sin Nombre enjoying very nice turns the whole way down on very consistent buttery snow.
Skinned about 500' up the Sin Nombre north aspect and booted the remaining distance to the ridgeline NW of Sin Nombre, elevation 12,500', arriving at 1 pm. This north aspect was colder with a 1-2cm layer of graupel on top of the fresh snow (about 8cm total fresh)--very nice turns. Clouds moved in before our descent making for very flat light and challenging depth perception once away from rocks and tracks.
Skies had a very thin obscuration of clouds for the first few hours with intense sun, became 7/8 with strato cumulus around noon and approx 8-10 degrees C. Despite warm temp, the snow remained dry to the squeeze and did not glop. Below Williams Lake on the return, the snow was notably slower but did not impede skiing all the way back to the Bavarian by 2 pm.
There were a few roller balls on NE-SE aspects. Only recent slide activity we noticed was a point release (R1D2) from the rocks on NE aspect below the saddle between Sin Nombre and Lake Fork Pk; appeared less than 2-days old, approx 25cm crown, ran about 180', maybe 60' wide. This occured prior to the end of yesterday's snow in an area that often has such releases. Evidence of much older minor activity was also visible on same slope closer to Lake Fork Pk.
Kerry

back up during the week...

Postby Kerry » Sun May 03, 2009 9:26 pm

Bob, Brian & Others, wish I could join mid this week. My next opportunity will be mid-week 11-15 May. Please post if you'd like to go then!
Kerry

W face of wheeler?

Postby scotthsu » Sun May 03, 2009 10:24 pm

kerry, btw, did you happen to notice whether the SW/W slopes of Wheeler are still in?
scotthsu

Postby MarkM » Mon May 04, 2009 8:18 am

Nuts - wish I had gone with you guys!

I am thinking about trying Lake Fork Wednesday - any takers? Think this snow will stay soft or have transitioned into something that is still good (ie: corn - not glop)? The forecast is calling for sunny, with a high of near 60 degrees at 11,000 feet.

505-920-2481
MarkM

wheeler

Postby Kerry » Mon May 04, 2009 9:05 am

Scott,
I had originally planned to ski the line we briefly discussed on the west aspect of Wheeler. My partner had wide open fields for GS-like turns in mind. After climbing up Lake Fork I was very glad we did not attempt the west aspect of Wheeler. Even after the small fresh snow, it appeared that one would have to descend at least 400' in elevation before finding skiable snow.
I think Rob the forest ranger (Wobage?) may be one of the two I saw climbing the typical summer path (NW aspect) to Wheeler. I did not see where they descended. Perhaps he could give a better report.
How was Jicarilla?

All,
if you go this mid-week, please let us know what toll the warm weather takes on the snowpack.
Kerry

Postby Brian » Mon May 04, 2009 10:58 am

At this point, based on my work schedule, I could probably get out for something back in the Williams Lake area tomorrow or Wednesday.
Brian

Postby Bob » Mon May 04, 2009 6:10 pm

brij0626 wrote:At this point, based on my work schedule, I could probably get out for something back in the Williams Lake area tomorrow or Wednesday.

Brian, I'm interested in tomorrow (Tuesday). Check your gmail.com account or PM me.

Bob
Bob

Postby Bob » Wed May 06, 2009 12:01 pm

(Also posted to TelemarkTips.com forum)

Sin Nombre seems to be the go-to peak for the Williams Lake basin right now. Brian and I went up Tuesday for a fine day of perfect spring skiing. I took some of the pictures, he took the others:

Brian heads up. The weather is perfect. Sin Nombre is looking good:

I skin under an indigo sky:

Eventually, the booting:

It looks like you could still put together a line on the SW side of Wheeler Peak:

Hard to believe it's spring:

The top - Lake Fork Peak behind Brian:

The point. Gotta have the point:

Now for some skiing on that perfect spring snow. Brian drops into the main chute:

My turn:

Brain chutes it up:

Down on the apron we opened it up:

That's what I'm talking about:

Cool day. Thanks Brian!
Last edited by Bob on Fri May 08, 2009 5:20 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Bob

b&b

Postby scotthsu » Wed May 06, 2009 12:52 pm

looks like you guys had a sweet time! thanks for posting the pix.
ps some of the photos appear to have broken links, or is that just my computer?
scotthsu

PreviousNext

Return to Northern New Mexico 2008-2009 Conditions