William's Lake Basin Beta?

Moderators: Bob, Matt, mark, scotthsu

Postby Bob » Thu May 14, 2009 10:17 am

Kerry, nice linkup of Sin Nombre and Lake Fork. Great report.

I was up at Lake Fork yesterday (5/13) and found the main chute to be the junky mess that you described, so we skied the chute to skier's left of the main chute and had a really great run.

We ran into MarkM who was headed up as we were finishing up. Hope the snow wasn't too soft for you, Mark. We were really glad for our gawd-awful early start (left Santa Fe at 0500, skinning by 0730, back at the lot before 1230).

The SN/LF runs should be good through the weekend, but if it doesn't cool off significantly it's gonna be real thin. We did a little rock hopping on the approach and way out.

Here are some oics from Lake Fork Peak left:

Vi headed up:

Going strong at 12880 ft.:

Getting down to business:

Vi got one of me:

Back to pictures of grrls:

Dirty snow:
Bob

way to go

Postby scotthsu » Thu May 14, 2009 12:22 pm

kerry, bob, way to keep hitting it! my attention has turned to CO, but they're dealing with a nasty red dust layer in many places (san juans, elks) that's killing the snowpack. But if you need a stonegrind job on your bases, i hear that skiing over the dust is a good substitute!
scotthsu

Postby MarkM » Thu May 14, 2009 11:22 pm

Well - what a difference an hour makes. Sid and I ran into Bob and Vi at around 11:15 a few hundred vertical feet below the top (they were on their way down). Up to that point things had been firm enough for easy skinning and climbing. Then we started up the last pitch and tried to use their steps, but we were soon post-holing and pushing our poles deep into the snow. We traversed left onto a slightly more northerly aspect, then tried the avalanche runout up the gut - but by the time we got up near the rocks below the choke, we were going in deep. A couple of times I pushed my poles in all the way to the handles. We decided to skeedadle about 250 feet from the top.

The skiing was actually better than we had thought it would be - but a little spooky because it was so soft. It actually improved after a couple dozen turns, and the base got much firmer from there back to the lake. It almost seemed like the top had not frozen the night before - or it has just become rotten like others have said.

Anyhow, the snow in the trees back to the car was like glue - it seems like we had to push most of the way down. But still pretty continuous.

Still - a bad day of skiing is better than a good day of working...

Off to Summit County this weekend.
MarkM

all quiet on the southern front

Postby scotthsu » Thu May 28, 2009 7:59 pm

anyone check out williams lake basin lately? where can you start skinning? any reasonably long lines left to ski? thanks!
scotthsu

Postby trucker » Thu May 28, 2009 9:42 pm

we were last there on may 16 (i think that was the day you were on buckskin). skied sin nombre and it was in great shape, including the skin in. i can't say whether it has rained or snowed since then-it was pretty slushy up in co last weekend.
trucker

Williams Lake Beta

Postby MarkM » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:44 pm

Jessika, Steve P and I had an awesome Solstice day od skiing above Williams Lake today - the bowl lookers right of Sin Nombre (not the chutes). Sunny, warm, and the snow was relatively white and quite firm (maybe 2-3 inches of soft on top at around noon when we did our second lap). No post holing, no mush. A little sticky in the trees, though. Still enough snow to make things interesting for another week or two - I would guess.

I'll post some photos when we pool them among ourselves.
MarkM

if anybody cares about the snow

Postby MarkM » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:58 pm

only got two good photos yesterday...

http://picasaweb.google.com/marklmortier/WilliamsLake#
MarkM

way to go

Postby scotthsu » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:44 am

Mark et al, way to go getting the late June ski here in the land of manana! Looks like you guys had quite the trek in, but the pretty S's seemed worth the effort. :)
scotthsu

Postby Bob » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:26 am

Wow, that's kind of amazing for late June - it looks like you could still ski most of the face of Sin Nombre.
Bob

Previous

Return to Northern New Mexico 2008-2009 Conditions