William's Lake Basin Beta?

Moderators: mark, scotthsu, Bob, Matt

William's Lake Basin Beta?

Postby cmcquade » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:05 pm

Does anyone have any trip reports/beta for lines in the William's Lake area...I hope to get into the area this season. Specifically the basin below Lake Peak's summit. I was in the area 3/14/9...The area looked awesome after the last storm...appeared like 12" had fallen at the higher elevations.

What are the popular lines from the lake? How long of a skin if one parks near the Bavarian?

thanks

chuck
cmcquade

lines

Postby scotthsu » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:51 am

don't have recent beta, but check out ideas for lines at
http://www.summitpost.org/view_object.p ... _id=444870

it's a little over 2 miles and about 1000' elevation gain to the lake. it takes about 3 hours (give or take a little) to the summit of Lake Fork Peak depending on your ascent route and speed. the NE face of Lake Fork is a nice snowclimb; the SE face is often skinnable all the way to the summit.

i'd avoid skiing the west face of Wheeler right now, as it was mostly bare before the recent storms.

be safe!
scotthsu

Williams Lake Recon

Postby cmcquade » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:13 am

Scott-

Thanks for the link, I stumbled across your TR's awhile back. There is some good bc skiing in NM, just no good documentation of it, good work. Im thinking about heading upto wiliams area this weekend to do some recon, hopefully get in a line or two...

Was in Nambe basin on Tuesday. First 75+ feet was hard packed, followed by 8-12" of powder, making the boot up difficult.
cmcquade

Sunday 4/26, Lake Pk area...

Postby cmcquade » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:36 pm

A few of us are planning on heading to the Lake Fork Pk area this sunday. Any one been in the area recently? Reply here or IM me if interested, the more the better:)

cm
cmcquade

Postby robLowrie » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:11 pm

I'm heading there this Saturday. If anyone has been there recently, I'd love to hear about it.
robLowrie

Postby robLowrie » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:15 pm

...or I might just do Kachina.
robLowrie

Postby Brian » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:22 am

Skied back in the Williams Lake area yesterday(4/25) and hit one of the chutes below Sin Nombre. By the time we skinned and booted up to the peak the snow had softened up enough to make for some great turns.

Brian

Lake Fork Pk 4/26

Postby cmcquade » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:33 pm

Snow coverage allowed us to skin to the base of the 1st "ramp" on Lake Fork's SE side. Booted up around 11:00am. Snow was just firm enough for a descent boot pack, there were times when punching through to waist depth would occur.

No-thanks to cool temps on sat night the first half of the NE face was boiler plate ice. If you hiked down the north ridge a bit to more of an E aspect the conditions looked nice. The ride back to the Phoenix was pleasant, nice spring corn in the upper basin below lake's NE face.

We say the lines on Sin Nombre from Saturdays crew...the line you guys did looked awesome. :) Next time...
cmcquade

Baltazar chutes?

Postby scotthsu » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:43 am

Brian,

Nice pix.

I think one of your group from last Saturday posted to the nmskiing yahoo group, and referred to the north facing chutes below Sin Nombre as Baltazar chutes? Just wondering where the name comes from.

I'm interested in compiling names of various lines in the Williams Lake area.

Cheers,
Scott
scotthsu

Re: Baltazar chutes?

Postby Brian » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:55 am

Scott, I got that name from one of Jason's trip reports back in that area a few years ago, though I can't find it now. I'll have to shoot him an e-mail.

Update: I heard back from Jason, he had called them the Ballzinger chutes in a report(I don't know where I got Baltazar from.....), and that they called them that for lack of a better name.

scotthsu wrote:Brian,

Nice pix.

I think one of your group from last Saturday posted to the nmskiing yahoo group, and referred to the north facing chutes below Sin Nombre as Baltazar chutes? Just wondering where the name comes from.

I'm interested in compiling names of various lines in the Williams Lake area.

Cheers,
Scott
Brian

Postby Brian » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:08 pm

^^^

I put this on the e-mail list as well... I am working up in Costilla on Fri and am planning on camping out at TSV on Fri night and then touring on Sat. so if anyone is interested on skiing up there Sat. let me know.
Brian

Postby scotthsu » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:40 pm

thanks for the update. i like "ballzinger" :)
scotthsu

wheeler beta?

Postby scotthsu » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:52 pm

anyone notice recently whether any lines on the west slope of Wheeler are skiable from the top or near the top? thanks!
scotthsu

Postby Bob » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:35 am

Just want to say that I'm enjoying the TRs a lot. Way to go.

Anyone available for a Wms Lake tour mid-week next week?
Bob

Re: wheeler beta?

Postby scotthsu » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:40 am

scotthsu wrote:anyone notice recently whether any lines on the west slope of Wheeler are skiable from the top or near the top? thanks!

never mind. i saw the TR on teletips, and there are a few photos in which you can see that there is a line IN on the west face of Wheeler. hope it lasts til this weekend!
scotthsu

Next

Return to Northern New Mexico 2008-2009 Conditions