Security Conditions at SF Ski Basin?

Moderators: Bob, Matt, mark, scotthsu

Security Conditions at SF Ski Basin?

Postby ecoredneck » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:21 pm

Hi - I attempted to get some evening turns in at the Basin by skinning up at around 6:30 pm this past Monday. Unfortunately, as I secured my bindings, an overly concerned SF cop stopped me because "this was not safe and it is not allowed". I told him that he was a kill-joy and I was Ok without his safety lectures. Then I released the bindings, got in the truck and drove out, as he followed me down to Aspen Vista. I wasn't drinking or smoking and put on my best "academic" vibe! Hmm; is SF Ski Basin cutting back on being cool with people skinning/skiing at night??? Security conditions seemed extreme.
ecoredneck

Postby Matt » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:47 pm

SF Police or SF County Sheriff?? Probably just random. I would have asked what law I was breaking, gotten a badge number, and kept on with my business of getting turns. ...but then again I'm not a big fan of law enforcement in Santa Fe.
Matt

Postby ecoredneck » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:15 pm

SF Police. He said it was a property issue. Not sure if he was right and was short on ammo to argue authoritatively. Hopefully you are right that this was a random event.
ecoredneck

Postby Bob » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:13 pm

Seriously? That's stunning. People skin up the ski basin in the morning and evening all the time. There were parties skinning up before opening and after closing today (and nearly every nice day) as I worked on opening and closing the mountain.

That's nearly unbelievable. He was wrong saying "It's not allowed." You should have had the cop cite his authority - for one thing the ski basin is outside the city limits and SF Police jurisdiction (warning - IANAL). I feel pretty safe saying there are no issues on the part of SF Ski Basin management or the Forest Service (who owns the land) with skinning.

Edit to add: That guy was seriously out of line. The whole thing is really pissing me off.
Bob

Postby trucker » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:03 pm

which part is not safe-skiing, or being outside after dark?

thanks for weighing in on this Bob-i would be kinda shocked to hear we weren't allowed to ski after hours...
trucker

Postby ecoredneck » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:23 pm

Great - thanks for bits, especially on jurisdiction/laws! Let's keep an eye out for this sort of misbehavior from these yo-yo's. It's our right to yo-yo. He was posted next to the gate that leads to the Lodge -- with the car running and lights on. I was peeved about the added CO2 he was spewing but was even more peeved about his spewed BS! Having fun with word play....

Not sure what he meant by "not safe". I would have been afraid had I no head lamp. That dark stuff is freaky... :?
ecoredneck

Return to Northern New Mexico 2008-2009 Conditions