Nambe' Chutes?

Moderators: mark, scotthsu, Bob, Matt

Postby Nuro305 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:26 am

HA!

Yea thanks to John for carting up a real camera, he had everything but the kitchen sink in that pack!

I think we'll be up there again Sunday if anyone's interested ;-)
Nuro305

Re: Nambe Chutes

Postby Matt » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:56 am

JohnS wrote:Nambe Chutes Report for the "Boot Out Chute/Styx" Friday, January 2, 2009.

Paul aka "Nuro" and I skied the Nambe Chutes NNW facing chutes today. 54cm Snow Pack was very stable. Snow Pack at the top of the chute we skiied has a top layer of 52cm with very firm snow sitting on 2cm of sugar. The entire 52cm layer feel very solid and consistant throughout. No signs of cracking or fractures on this chute.

Performed a isolated column test. Column did not see fractures until hit 28. Was slamming the shovel as hard as i could from 20 - 28 with fist to get the fracture at 45 cm from the bottom up. The entire column felt very stable.

Skied this chute first. Very interesting with the windblown textures. Just a few inches of powder on hard pack. Very similar conditions as last year.

[arm chair quarterback rambling] I've always been a little leary of pits at the top of the Nambe Chutes. Most everyone digs them (including me from time to time) in the severely wind affected snow, on less steep slopes above the convex rolls. All of the activity I've seen on the N facing slopes of the Nambe cirque has all occurred well below this area, in the zones of greater deposition, without upward propogation. The most interesting depositional pattern I saw a few years ago was graupel that was not present in the upper third of the chute, had moved down slope, and was up to 3" thick in the bottom 2/3rds of the chute. It makes a nice bed plane surface. I always seem to rely more on weather history when skiing the Nambe more than other areas given the way most people access it and the lack of a good test slope. Just something to put in the back of your head...[/arm chair quaterback rambling]

BTW - Way to get after it and share the stoke!
Matt

Postby Nuro305 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:05 am

Yup I hear Ya..... the way I figure it, all this avalanche work is like the "Pirates Code" from Pirates of the Caribbean, they are really just "Guidelines" ;-)

In the end it's up to each individual to decide what to do, and to your buddies to get you out if you screw up!
Nuro305

Snow Report Nambe Chutes January 25 - 2009

Postby JohnS » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:34 am

How quickly things can change in the Nambe. 4 days ago reports from Marc Beverly and Kerry Hanes reported very hard pack wind slabs in the Nambe Chutes. With no new snow since their reports Paul, Joel and I expected the same conditions and did not expect to do any skiing in the Chutes. To our suprize an incredible amount wind blow snow had blown into the Nambe giving it a few inches of fresh snow. Snow felt like there was enough to have some fun so we dropped in to the lower chute marked on the Google map. This is a very fun chute at 40 degrees. Very Taos like. Snow felt very stable and no signs of cracks or fractures.

Since the skiing was pretty good we decided to stay in the Nambe and boot pack up for another run on the next chute east. I dug a quick pit halfway up the chute on the 30 degree slope to see what was going on. The snowpack has definitely changed since Jan 2 with mulipal layers building up. The top 7-10cm being the weakest layer which failed at 2 hits from the elbow on a column test. Even with this failure the snow still felt stable BUT being on a 30 degree slope with a weak and multipal layers does bring concern.

The boot up was a struggle at times in hip deep snow but for the most part not too bad and well worth it as the ski down was a blast. The Nambe moves mega tons of snow in and out on those crazy high wind days. Be interesting if this snow stays or gets all blown out. Last year Kerry saw 1 - 2 feet of snow get blown out of the Nambe in just a few days.

We did see a renegade band of 4 - 5 skiers doing the climb over Lake Peak to Heaven's Hill. Their voices of excitment echoed through out the Nambe.

With this long stretch of no new snow, warm temps and wind it will be interesting to see what happens when we get the next big dump.

john savickas
JohnS

Postby prgsmall » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:02 am

Hey!

Those "unknown renegades" were us... (Us, being Peter, TJ, Jamie, Kevin, and Gus). We were on our way to some nice powder stashed off of Heaven's Hill. We saw you guys laying down some turns. Looked like a lot of fun.

I'll post a TR about Heaven's...

Peter
prgsmall

Recent Conditions?

Postby cmcquade » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:52 am

:?:

Has anyone been upto the Nambe chutes recently, since Kerry's last report of the area?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chuck
cmcquade

Postby Nuro305 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:49 pm

Don't know but I plan on going up this weekend (don't know what day yet) to see for myself!
Nuro305

This wkend

Postby cmcquade » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:43 pm

nuro-

Are you still thinking about nambe cirque this wkend? I was up there Tuesday 3/17. Awesome:) boot up was some work. What day you heading up?
cmcquade

Postby Nuro305 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:58 pm

I WISH!

Sorry for the false alarm... I have to WORK now.... I want to head up NEXT weekend and need a partner. If anyone's interested let me know.

Sheeeeet,
Paul
Nuro305

Thiefs...Lesson Learned

Postby cmcquade » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:22 pm

Enjoyed another day in Nambe cirque on Saturday. Entered via the boot out chute. Booted up to the Lake pk's west face via the semi exposed rock rib underneath N+4 chute. Made for any easy boot up. Came down N+3, then back up boot up chute.

The unfortunate part of the day occurred while midway to Lake pk's west face. I noticed a group of 4 above boot out chute, right where I left my trekking poles, I decided to leave them behind as I was too lazy to attach them to my pack. The group was hiking from deception to lake peak, and seemed like maybe down heavens hill area. So anyway they nabbed my trekking poles, a nice black diamond contour pair! Lesson learned another reason never to seperate from you pack or your poles:)

c
cmcquade

Postby Nuro305 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:52 pm

John and I did a full day in awesome conditions on the 28th. See the post in the snow reports page ;-)
Nuro305

Nambe Chute

Postby JohnS » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:30 pm

Fun Day!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTDpNu5LckI

put this in the wrong place the first post.
john savickas
JohnS

Previous

Return to Northern New Mexico 2008-2009 Conditions