Deception Peak 4/24/08

Moderators: mark, scotthsu, Bob, Matt

Deception Peak 4/24/08

Postby Bob » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:02 pm

I went up to Deception Peak today to look around a little. Around noon (no point in getting an early start) the main chute into the Nambé was still very firm, so I went over and looked into the watershed. Illegal Chute and the next chute to the south/skier's right (called 'Lehigh's Plunge' by some) looked very good and were pretty well on their way to corning up. Nice looking lines.

Around 1:30 I went back and skied the Boot Out/Rubicon chute. Conditions were mixed. At the top it was nicely edge-able styrofoam, grading into some softish windpack. But about half way down it got crusty and was a pain to ski.

So I give the Nambé a "Wait" rating for a few days. A few melt-freeze cycles will definitely help out. The boot pack was in and that was nice. Thanks to whoever did that, even if the steps were just a little far apart for my (vertically challenged) legs. :wink:

East-facing shots are likely to be the best bet for now.
Bob

thanks!

Postby scotthsu » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:16 pm

Bob, thanks for the update. This is useful as I am considering hitting the Nambe drainage again on Saturday to do some lines I haven't done before.

-scott
scotthsu

Postby frank » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:18 pm

The top 1/4 was already in, and the bottom 1/4 I skinned up, but you're welcome for 1/2 of it. Didn't think I was that tall.... My opinions on the snow yesterday are basically the same as you from today, the lower apron was frozen reef at noon.
frank

nambe 4/26/08

Postby scotthsu » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:45 pm

skied the boot-out chute this morning, about the same as bob's description above, but the frozen reef at the bottom was softening about noon. some pockets of fun winter-pack in the trees on the frontside.

-scott
scotthsu

Return to Northern New Mexico 2007-2008 Conditions