SF Baldy 4.19.08

Moderators: mark, scotthsu, Bob, Matt

SF Baldy 4.19.08

Postby Bob » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:33 pm

Me and another guy headed up to SF Baldy on Sunday. We took an unusual and interesting route in:

We got up to the top where the wind was howling. We considered dropping in to the chute that Matt, Mark and I skied last year, but the drop in there was approaching 70 degrees this year and was kind of intimidating, and the snow was a little iffy:

(This is what that same spot above looked like last year):

So we went a little to the east and took a bigger chute with a mellower start:

The conditions were mixed - manky on the skier's left and firm windbuff on the right, but hey...:

We headed back to town the same way we went in, and found a shot that will require some further investigation at a later date (on the left of the photo):

All in all, the snow conditions could have been better, it needs to even out some up there. I expect it'll improve markedly with a few freeze-thaw cycles, but it was fun exploring a new route and scoping a project (or three) for later. In my previous two trips up there I haven't seen the entrance to that NE facing chute anywhere near as steep as it was on this trip, but when it corns up it should be...interesting.

velocity, I looked for your poles, but no luck.
Bob

Postby Matt » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:30 pm

Nice tour Bob! I skied that aspect on in the last photo a few years ago. Nice skiing, but like the Watershed, getting out can be a little difficult.

I figured SF Baldy was about 2-4 weeks away from good corn and your report confirmed. I'm game for that entrance then.
Matt

Postby Bob » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:46 pm

Matt wrote:Nice tour Bob! I skied that aspect on in the last photo a few years ago. Nice skiing, but like the Watershed, getting out can be a little difficult.

It was striking to me just how much that shot looked like ones in the 'shed.

Matt wrote:I figured SF Baldy was about 2-4 weeks away from good corn and your report confirmed. I'm game for that entrance then.

Let me know - I want to go back. That entrance is really intriguing this year.
Bob

Very nice!!!

Postby tomchepucavage » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:14 pm

That is some great photography and touring :shock: . Where exactly is that open bowl aspect in the last few photos? Did you boot up out of that? Must have been a long day.
tomchepucavage

Re: Very nice!!!

Postby Bob » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:00 am

tomchepucavage wrote:That is some great photography and touring :shock: .

Thanks!

tomchepucavage wrote:Where exactly is that open bowl aspect in the last few photos? Did you boot up out of that? Must have been a long day.

The one with the tracks in it? That starts right where there's a short steep hill that goes up to the summit ridge on SF Baldy as you approach from Puerto Nambé along the ridge on the south side of SF Baldy.

I'm not sure how else to describe it. Maybe later I can find a map image to put up.

Once you ski it, the best thing is to head just a little east and boot out of the cirque back up to the ridge and ski down the south-facing slope toward the Winsor trail. Again, it would be easier to show on a map.

It does make for a long day.
Bob

Postby Bob » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:17 am

Okay, I made a map:

Basically, we skied down the red line, traversed the black dotted line, booted back out the blue line.
Bob

thanks for the map

Postby scotthsu » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:48 am

This is helpful. I was thinking you were heading off the SF Baldy summit to the NE!

-Scott
scotthsu

Thanks! This is great

Postby tomchepucavage » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:08 pm

:D
tomchepucavage

Return to Northern New Mexico 2007-2008 Conditions