Boot Out Chute too deep to climb

Moderators: Bob, Matt, mark, scotthsu

Boot Out Chute too deep to climb

Postby tomchepucavage » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:13 am

Climbed out the Boot Out Chute last Sunday and it was way to deep to climb up out of and risky for avalanche although very good solid crust. Needed Ice Axe to get out over the lip.
Last edited by tomchepucavage on Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tomchepucavage

Re: Boot Out Chute to deep to climb

Postby Matt » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:01 am

tomchepucavage wrote:way to deep to climb up out of and risky for avalanche although very good solid crust

I'm not following this Tom. Care to elaborate?
Matt

too deep?

Postby Kerry » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:44 am

I booted to the top of boot out chute on previous Tues and part way up on the Tues following Tom's observation (to retrieve a ski that departed my boot while negotiating with hard wind slab formations :oops: ) and found the boot out chute very skinnable two-thirds uphill and bootable during the top third. The 2" wind slab in my snow report (18 Mar) is not hard enough to prevent me from slamming a boot heal through it to self arrest while sliding down without skis :roll: . I found the trick to efficient boot climbing without axe or crampons is to punch just the toe of the boot into the crust. No doubt that the Nambe will be more enjoyable when the corn ripens...
Kerry

Problem was deeper areas, struggling to make a purchase

Postby tomchepucavage » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:40 pm

Yes maybe our first mistake was not to skin the first 2/3s We went up along the rock formation on the right on the way up and then traversed to the central formation at the top of the chute. Coming up along the lower formation I found myself in 2 to 3 foot deep powder snow through the crust having a very hard time getting a purchase. Once we reached the upper formation it was such a risk that maybe we should have left on the left side of the rock formation. Was that better? On the right side of the formation in the top middle of the chute we struggled with 3 foot deep pockets that wore us out. We were using ice axes to keep a hold without sliding. There was an incredible amount of wind that day as there was in town. The spin drift was insane. When I crested the top ridge I have never felt so relieved. Maybe it was that I am out of shape. The crust seemed like some kind of avalanche danger to me covering dry powder below maybe someone can comment on that. Two inch crust on 2, 3 4 foot of dry powder...
Tom
tomchepucavage

Postby Matt » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:04 pm

When the climb out of the Nambe is that difficult I usually opt for a ski out to the Windsor trail. In a good year, follow the creek that leads from the lake for a pleasant ski that may include a few pillow drops. There are other interesting short shots between the basin and the Windsor trail, but I only ski it once or twice a year, so re-finding them is pretty difficult. Just make sure you don't ski past the junction with the Windsor Trail or you will have a very long day.
Matt

Return to Northern New Mexico 2007-2008 Conditions