Anyone familiar with Jicarita Peak?

Moderators: Bob, Matt, mark, scotthsu

Anyone familiar with Jicarita Peak?

Postby Kerry » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:03 pm

Looking at new tour destination...anyone familiar with Jicarita Peak? To get there, turn off Hwy 68 (SF-Taos) at Dixon onto Hwy 75, go to Penasco and turn right on SR 73, drive along the Santa Barbara Crk to a campground at 13S 445104 3993694. Jicarita Pk is SE of campground and looks inviting on the map.

Does anyone know if the road to the campground mentioned above is plowed or 4wd passible to or near the campground?
Kerry

Postby Matt » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:11 am

As far as I know the road to the Santa Babara campground is not plowed in the winter.

I haven't skied Jicarita, but a group of use did ski the north facing slide path on Jicarilla (north end of the long ridge extending from the Truchas group) a few years ago.

There are a number of great lines up in there, but access can sometimes be very difficult, and timing plays an important role in finding things in good skiing condition.
Matt

Postby velocity » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:43 am

I skied Jicarita with David last May approaching from Serpent Lake to the east. Wind had scoured much of the snow and what we had left in the two north facing bowls below the twin summits was a over ripe. Great tour, but our timing was off.

With the right conditions, there are some fantastic lines to ski. I think approaching from the north would be extremely long, almost certainly warranting an overnight trip.

Lots of stuff at the end of Santa Barbara Canyon. We explored that in May 2005 and we very happy with what we found.
velocity

Postby Brian » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:10 am

velocity wrote:Lots of stuff at the end of Santa Barbara Canyon. We explored that in May 2005 and we very happy with what we found.

I did some runs in that area last summer(campground, east fork, over to west fork and back) and was amazed at the potential back there for skiing, especially the in the east fork basin

Brian

Jicarita

Postby Kerry » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:15 pm

Thanks for info Guys! Where did you park when you toured in via the Serpent Lake trail? Has anyone had their car broken into parking in this area?
Kerry

Postby velocity » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:06 pm

We drove in on the night before our tour and car camped at the end of forest service road 161 off of highway 518. I have no idea about break-ins, but we were not worried. We started skinning about half way up the trail to the lake. You may find that in late spring the easily accessible east facing slopes have more snow than the north bowls because of wind action. Who knows? If you go be sure to tell us what you discover! My bet is that real corn is still weeks away, but that good powder is out there right now.
velocity

jicarita and UN 12828; 5/3/08

Postby scotthsu » Sun May 04, 2008 7:35 pm

hey all,

climbed jicarita (12835') and its nearby sister peak UN 12828 yesterday from the Serpent Lake TH at the end of FR161. plenty of snow on the approach, but really only the bowl east of UN 12828 (above Serpent Lake) was worth skiing. you can get nice turns for about 700-800' vertical here. snowpack is fully into the corn cycle.

from the car, you can start skinning after about 5-10 minutes of walking along the old road beyond the barricade. not much foot traffic, so the snow-covered trail is easy to lose. that didn't matter much on the way up since we knew where we were headed, but a GPS waypoint of the parking area was the only thing that saved us on the way down; otherwise, we'd still be wandering around out there. all in all, nice to see a new area of the NM Sangres, but if you're after interesting lines, the skiing is past prime in that immediate area.

-scott
scotthsu

Thanks Scott

Postby Kerry » Mon May 19, 2008 9:07 pm

I did not get to Jicarita before turkey season began and was busy chasing birds with friends & family until this past weekend. Based on your report, looks like I should save Jicarita for next year. Looking to get out on the Wed & Thurs next week, 28-29th, in the Wolf Creek area. Interested?
Kerry

gotta work

Postby scotthsu » Mon May 19, 2008 9:57 pm

thanks for the invite, but gotta work. have fun!
scotthsu

Return to Northern New Mexico 2007-2008 Conditions