Avalanche forecast/my intro/upcoming trip

Moderators: mark, scotthsu, Bob, Matt

Avalanche forecast/my intro/upcoming trip

Postby Jr » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:41 am

New to the area.

First off, I'll just make sure: There is no official avalanche forecast program run by the forest service or the state, right?

Second, this is a nice site, thanks for putting it together and contributing.

Down to business: I'm hoping to be able to try something on Monday (Feb. 11). I hiked the Winsor Trail last fall and would love to hit Santa Fe Baldy or something sometime, but probably not with all this snow, certainly not solo and probably not until I get some shorter runs under my belt here. I'm sure the Big Tesuque road would access some good skiing, too, and you could probably find some low-angle trees in there that wouldn't be too sketchy even with a bunch of new snow...? A previous post said you should skin 13 miles ... there's good stuff closer than that, right?

I've even been looking at the spot just uphill from that pullout with the information on aspens, just above Big T (I think) and below Ski Santa Fe. Looks fun, low-angle, with nicely spaced aspens, could make for some fun, safe laps. That's my speed most days, anyway; a couple of quick skins/turns and head back in time for lunch.

If anyone has some free time on Monday and would like to take a chance on a new partner, drop me a note.

I've got a shovel, probe, beacon, AT setup (I'm still lugging my alpine boots on top of old BD skis). Have had limited formal avalanche training (two-hour slide shows, beacon practice courses, reading a lot of avalanche reports, skiing with folks who have been through Level II and above courses). Some of it rubbed off, I think. I'm pretty cautious and pretty slow; 1,000 vertical feet of climbing is plenty for me most days, unless I'm feeling really ambitious.

Hello.
Jr

Postby Bob » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:46 pm

Jr wrote:New to the area.

Welcome.

Jr wrote:First off, I'll just make sure: There is no official avalanche forecast program run by the forest service or the state, right?

Right. That's why this site was created.

Jr wrote:Down to business: I'm hoping to be able to try something on Monday (Feb. 11). I hiked the Winsor Trail last fall and would love to hit Santa Fe Baldy or something sometime, but probably not with all this snow, certainly not solo and probably not until I get some shorter runs under my belt here. I'm sure the Big Tesuque road would access some good skiing, too, and you could probably find some low-angle trees in there that wouldn't be too sketchy even with a bunch of new snow...? A previous post said you should skin 13 miles ... there's good stuff closer than that, right?

SF Baldy is a long, committing trip. I'm a little confused about what you mean by Big Tesuque road. When you say the Big Tesuque Road, do you mean the Aspen Vista trail/road that goes through the Big Tesuque drainage? The Big T(esuque) refers to the drainage below Tesuque Peak (the radio towers) that ends up (if you do it right) at the Big Tesuque campground around mile 13 on Hyde Park Road,

Jr wrote:I've even been looking at the spot just uphill from that pullout with the information on aspens, just above Big T (I think) and below Ski Santa Fe. Looks fun, low-angle, with nicely spaced aspens, could make for some fun, safe laps. That's my speed most days, anyway; a couple of quick skins/turns and head back in time for lunch.

That's the Big T and that's a good size-up. The Big T is probably the best intro backcountry run in this area for the reasons you mention. Keep in mind that people get lost fairly regularly even when trying to ski from the ski area into the Big T, so be really careful.
Bob

Thanks Bob

Postby Jr » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:12 am

I guess I was talking about Aspen Vista Road. Heading toward the ski resort, it's on the right, with the closed road that heads toward Tesuque Peak. Trailhead is packed every weekend.

A little further, on the left, there's another pullout. No one's ever parked there, there are signs explaining the succession from aspens to pines and how fire starts it over.

I'm still planning to go Monday, to one of those places. I'll try to check out the snowpack and report anything that might help. [/quote]
Jr

Return to Northern New Mexico 2007-2008 Conditions