where to go safely

Moderators: mark, scotthsu, Bob, Matt

where to go safely

Postby guidolin » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:37 pm

Does anyone know how a place where to go this weekend for backcountry not too dangerous for avalanches (a part cinema, of course...) ?
thanks
guidolin

Postby rich » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:43 pm

Don't what exact area you may want to ski in, but I would suggest sticking to low angle terrain, preferably on the windward side.
rich

Postby guidolin » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:54 pm

do you have any example of such areas aroud Santa Fe ski area?
I know this is probably not the right place for such questions, but I am new to this region and it's difficult to find infos for backcountry skying.
thanks
guidolin

Postby Bob » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:29 pm

guidolin wrote:do you have any example of such areas aroud Santa Fe ski area?

The Big T is a classic low angle/easy access bc shot that is good right now. Start skinning at the Big Tesuque campground about 13 miles up the Hyde Park road. Easy to find, and chances are good you can find some partners for that - either here or at the trailhead.

guidolin wrote:I know this is probably not the right place for such questions, but I am new to this region and it's difficult to find infos for backcountry skying.
thanks

Actually, it's not a bad place to do that. One of the reasons the site was created was because it's so hard to get information about bc skiing in northern NM. Glad to have you here.
Bob

Postby Brian » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:57 am

guidolin wrote:do you have any example of such areas aroud Santa Fe ski area?
I know this is probably not the right place for such questions, but I am new to this region and it's difficult to find infos for backcountry skying.
thanks

Here is some information on Santa Fe area touring:

http://www.sdcmountainworks.com/winter/backcountry.php
Brian

Re: where to go safely

Postby Matt » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:16 pm

guidolin wrote:Does anyone know how a place where to go this weekend for backcountry not too dangerous for avalanches (a part cinema, of course...) ?
thanks

If your not comfortable assessing snow conditions - stick to the trees this weekend (Big T and assorted southerlies, Heavens, Ravens, etc...). The winds moved alot of snow around, with some activity reported this week on easterly aspects. The sun and warmth of today is a bit of a teaser, and I would hesitate to venture on the steep and clear until some better reports come in.

Along that train of thought, I'm going to dig a few pits tomorrow morning in some more exposed areas, and will post up my findings.

cheers
-Matt
Matt

Return to Northern New Mexico 2007-2008 Conditions