new mexicans lost in the backcountry

Moderators: mark, scotthsu, Bob, Matt

new mexicans lost in the backcountry

Postby Bob » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:34 am

It looks like some boarders may have gotten lost around Deception/Lake Peaks:
http://www.santafenewmexican.com/SantaF ... 7_boarders

And up near Wolf Creek, a couple of guys with NM plates have gone missing:
http://kob.com/article/stories/s304692.shtml

The storm isn't going to help all this. Let's be careful out there.
Bob

Re: new mexicans lost in the backcountry

Postby Bob » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:10 pm

Bob wrote:It looks like some boarders may have gotten lost around Deception/Lake Peaks:
http://www.santafenewmexican.com/SantaF ... 7_boarders

Found them.
http://www.santafenewmexican.com/Local% ... _snowboard

They were a long ways from where everyone thought they were.

Bob wrote:And up near Wolf Creek, a couple of guys with NM plates have gone missing:
http://kob.com/article/stories/s304692.shtml

Still no word.
Bob

Where is Little Tesuque Peak

Postby JohnS » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:32 am

Where exaclty is Little Tesuque Peak? Couldn't find it on the map.

Sounds like they accually dropped into the Watershed by mistake thinking it was the Nambe Chutes.

Be cool if someone could contact them and do a write up of their experiance and post it to the site.
JohnS

Re: Where is Little Tesuque Peak

Postby Brian » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:40 am

JohnS wrote:Where exaclty is Little Tesuque Peak? Couldn't find it on the map.

Sounds like they accually dropped into the Watershed by mistake thinking it was the Nambe Chutes.

Be cool if someone could contact them and do a write up of their experiance and post it to the site.

I would also be interested in hearing from them about the incident, specifically what they had planned to do and if they had any familiarity with the area. Though from what others have mentioned it does sound like they thought they were in the Nambe Basin but were actually in the watershed. But it is good to see that they were able to make it three days out there.

Myself and two others toured over to Heaven's Hill via Lake Peak on Saturday, and visibility was poor and and it appeared a lot of snow was/had been transported into the watershed.
Last edited by Brian on Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian

Postby Bob » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:50 pm

It's funny that you guys should mention wanting to hear the people's story in detail - I found myself wishing the same thing today. Maybe someone in Albuquerque might know them, it would sure be interesting.

Based on some news accounts I read, I'm thinking that they rode the Nambé Chutes but got disoriented on the way back and then dropped into the 'shed. That might not have been too hard to do if the visibility was bad or they weren't paying attention.

There's still major windloading going on for the east-facing slopes of the 'shed.
Bob

Postby Bob » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:42 am

This is an interesting read:
http://www.santafenewmexican.com/Local% ... _the_storm

Though new to the area, the couple had snowboarded at the ski basin before it opened at the end of November. They had talked to people there about Big Tesuque.

The couple started boarding down what they thought would take them into the Big T bowl, expecting to come out near the Big Tesuque campground, where they would catch a ride back up to the ski basin.

and:
They didn't call for help. "We wanted to get ourselves out," Putnam said. "It seemed premature to call for help when we had been out less then 24 hours."

And a confirmation that communication is key:
The global-positioning coordinates the company found from Fehl's phone targeted right where they were. But in the confusion of sparse cell phone calls and misunderstandings, the searchers thought the couple was far to the north near Penitente or Lake Peak. They thought the couple had snowboarded down the steep slopes toward Nambé Lake.

There are some good lessons learned there.
Bob

Postby elle » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:26 am

I think it is important to inform anyone who might read this that the cell phone signal was not what pinpointed the couple. It seems to me GPS is a phony item in cell phones. Maybe that is just the case in NM, but certainly the phone company and the police were unable to locate these people based on their signal.

I just dont want to see folks head out with cell phones thinking that they will be found based on their signal, that could cost them their lives.
elle

Postby Bob » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:12 pm

elle wrote:I think it is important to inform anyone who might read this that the cell phone signal was not what pinpointed the couple. It seems to me GPS is a phony item in cell phones. Maybe that is just the case in NM, but certainly the phone company and the police were unable to locate these people based on their signal.

Well, that's interesting. The article says: "The global-positioning coordinates the company found from Fehl's phone targeted right where they were. But in the confusion of sparse cell phone calls and misunderstandings, the searchers thought the couple was far to the north near Penitente or Lake Peak. They thought the couple had snowboarded down the steep slopes toward Nambé Lake."

I've been wondering why the article says the phone GPS targeted the couple, but confusion caused people to think that they were in the Nambé. I don't know much about the phone GPS systems. There is quite a bit of confusion hanging over this whole thing, and I've been wondering what the genesis of it is. Searchers spent a lot of time and effort combing the Nambé, time and effort that could have been better directed if it's true that the phone GPS info was accurate.

elle wrote:I just dont want to see folks head out with cell phones thinking that they will be found based on their signal, that could cost them their lives

I carry a little Garmin GPS unit, but better yet, I try to know where I'm going.

I'm also fascinated by the part where the couple says they didn't see any signs or ropes, yet they somehow got out of the ski area. From the article: "Once off the Tesuque Peak lift, they hiked to the left and up over a hill. Putnam looked for a gate or rope marking the backcountry and the Big Tesuque bowl. He saw nothing." First off, you have to go to the right off the lift to get to Big Tesuque, and second, there is a rope along the entire boundary of the ski area.

Nice to have you on the forum elle, and thanks for the snow report.
Bob

Postby elle » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:35 pm

It is great to be here! Thank you.

I was one of the searchers, and so I know that the phone was of little use in locating them. Furthermore, the couple never said Big T they always indicated Nambe Chutes. In fact, a great deal of the information printed in the papers and on the TV was inaccurate. It is a shame that news is reported so poorly.

And as one of the searchers, I spent a lot of time in the snow in that area and I advise a great deal of caution if you are planning on playing in the snow. We all saw a lot of activity, including full blown slides.
elle

Postby Bob » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:32 pm

elle wrote: ... In fact, a great deal of the information printed in the papers and on the TV was inaccurate. It is a shame that news is reported so poorly.

That is the nature of the news. The more you know about anything that gets reported in the news, the more you will understand that most news is pretty bad.

elle wrote:And as one of the searchers, I spent a lot of time in the snow in that area and I advise a great deal of caution if you are planning on playing in the snow. We all saw a lot of activity, including full blown slides.

Good advice.
Bob

SPOT SATELLITE MESSENGER

Postby JohnS » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:38 am

Here's a cool little device worth checking out... SPOT SATELLITE MESSENGER.

Cool thing is your family can track your progress on Google Maps while you are out playing. You can also check in with them anytime. Sometime you can be running late getting out of the moutains and out of cell phone coverage, with this you can let family and friends know you are ok.

Another great feature is you can have your Friends come help you if you not in need of the National Guard and News Media but still are stuck in a situation.

Of course if you forget to turn it off while at the local brew pub before heading home your significate other can track that too. :lol:

http://www.findmespot.com/
JohnS

Return to Northern New Mexico 2007-2008 Conditions