Santa Fe region

Moderators: mark, scotthsu, Bob, Matt

Re: Santa Fe region

Postby Marc » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:44 pm

SFNF closing established campgrounds, but visitors still welcome:

"National Forests in NM To Close Developed Recreation Sites;

Visitors Still Welcome

SANTA FE, NM– March 23, 2020 – The five national forests in New Mexico, including the Santa Fe National Forest (SFNF), will begin the orderly closure of developed recreation sites as early as Monday, March 23, to protect public health and safety and align with state and local measures already in place to contain the COVID-19 outbreak.

Although campgrounds, day-use sites, restrooms and other developed recreation facilities on the Carson, Cibola, Gila, Lincoln and Santa Fe national forests are likely to be closed, the vast majority of the forests will still be available to visitors who want to spend time outdoors. At this time, recreation opportunities include hiking and biking on trails, dispersed camping and other activities that support social distancing and small groups.

The SFNF asks members of the public to recreate responsibly by avoiding high-risk activities, like rock climbing, that increase the chance of injury or distress. Law enforcement and search and rescue operations may be limited due to COVID-19. In addition, visitors can help mitigate resource impacts while recreation sites are closed by bringing home their trash (pack it in, pack it out), and by appropriately managing human waste by burying it at least 6-8 inches deep and 200 feet away from water, trails and recreation sites. Visit the Interactive Visitor Map at https://www.fs.fed.us/ivm/ for more information on available activities.

“We know how much our communities and our visitors value all the recreation opportunities the national forests have to offer,” SFNF Supervisor James Melonas said. “This decision was not made lightly, but we believe people understand the serious risks posed by facilities that draw large numbers of people into close proximity to each other. We appreciate your patience and understanding of our efforts to mitigate those risks to protect public health and safety.”

The developed recreation site closures will remain in effect until further notice. The Forest Service thanks all New Mexicans, visitors and partners for their cooperation. Please report any instances of vandalism to facilities to the local ranger district office.

All SFNF offices are conducting business and providing services virtually. The SFNF will continue to coordinate its COVID-19 response in alignment with all federal, state and local guidance. Visitors to national forests are urged to take the precautions recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). For tips from the CDC on preventing illnesses like the coronavirus, go to: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... ntion.html.  

Contact information for SFNF Headquarters and the ranger district offices is posted on the forest website. Updates on the SFNF response to COVID-19 will also be posted on Facebook and Twitter.

###

USDA is an equal opportunity provider, employer and lender"

from the Santa Fe National Forest.

If you're out there, please keep your risk profile low. Risk = probability * consequence * ignorance. Use some kind of assessment tool before deciding if you're going to head out or not. You might get some flack for going, but you will for sure if something bad happens and you need a rescue. NM isn't closed down yet, and may or may not be. Keep abreast of the closures, etc., and be well.
Marc

Postby jpurcellrd » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:45 pm

I am still glad to see the forest open. I believe it is important to be able to get a little fresh air so I don't go crazy.

I was up at Ski Santa Fe this weekend.....Holy cow! I thought this would be a low risk, but good way to socially distance myself. It was tough. There were large groups of people that were going uphill side by side making it difficult to keep my acceptable distance. I was a little taken a back and quite frankly disappointed. I really believe we can enjoy the outdoors appropriately if we all do what we are supposed to do.

It's a tough time out there. I don't want to put our first responders at higher risk by going deep in the backcountry if something were to happen to me, but the hord at the ski hill is pretty crazy to navigate.
jpurcellrd

Postby sody » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:52 am

Fresh from the press from instagram:

"In response to the Governor of New Mexico’s Public Health Order of 23 March; closing of non-essential businesses, limiting groups to 5 or less, and advising people to stay home unless absolutely needed, Ski Santa Fe is requesting that skiers, hikers and others NOT recreate with-in the permit area of Ski Santa Fe. We ask that you refrain from hiking, uphill and downhill skiing and boarding, sight seeing, snow play and other forms of recreation at Ski Santa Fe. These measures will help reduce the spread of COVID-19 and just as important will reduce the potential for injuries that could put an additional strain on our emergency departments. As with all non-essential businesses in New Mexico we are closed and ask our community to stay home.

As an avid uphiller, a father of kids who live to ski, and a member of our community I want nothing other than to be in the mountains having fun during these challenging times. Exercise and the ability to have fun and blow off steam will be critical to all of us over the next weeks, but we need to choose how we exercise and play with caution and with respect to what is going on in the world around us. A broken leg on a ski tour, or a search for a missing hiker is not in our collective public interest and is an unnecessary burden on our medical community who is working so hard for all of us. I plan to stay home, to exercise and recreate at my home and to do what I can to support our community. I ask that you do the same.

Sincerely,

Ben Abruzzo
Area Manager
Ski Santa Fe"
sody

Postby Kerry » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:58 pm

I skied Nambe, Heavens and Ravens on Saturday. It was my first time in Nambe bowl this season. Snowpack is considerably different here than in the Taos region. The area received 1-3" above 11k' overnight. The north facing chutes on Ravens Ridge and the SW trees face of the Lake-Heavens ridge have significantly depth hoar formation. After punching through the upper 30-40 cm I consistently found a weak basel facet layer to the ground. DH measured 5mm on N side of Ravens. On Guph Trees (Lake-Heavans), there were places I could shove my pole basket another 90-100cm to the ground after I poked the handle through the overlying slab.
It appears the area went through an avy cycle in the last couple of weeks with old slab debris seen on W and NE faces of Lake, NE side of Lake-Heavens ridge and NW side of Deception.
The slab seems well bridged; wouldn't trust it on a warm day. Skied a high 40's pitch, the last one off Ravens with a few trees as you head toward Deception. We got soft wind slabs about 6" deep to run, but no sign of persistent slab fracture. No cracking or whumpfing.
Heavens skied well. Spx base felt more consolidated on Heavens except around rocks, where it was a facet farm. Snow in the aspen glade approaching the Windsor was manky, light breakable crust.
Skinned up Elbow Macaroni to finish with Homerun which is a lightly moguled run, in good shape.
Didn't see as many people out as expected, maybe 6 others on Heavens, couple on Elbow Mac, none in Nambe bowl, few snowshoers alone Wilderness boundary fence.
Kerry

Previous

Return to Northern New Mexico 2019-2020 Conditions