Taos Region

Moderators: mark, scotthsu, Bob, Matt

Taos Region

Postby JBella » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:35 pm

First (?) snowfall of the season on Wheeler during the evening of October 4th or early the 5th. Pics taken about 10 am on the 5th from Angel Fire after the clouds and fog cleared out

October 5 Wheeler.jpg
October 5 Wheeler.jpg (234.96 KiB) Viewed 731 times

October 5 Wheeler Snow.jpg
October 5 Wheeler Snow.jpg (234.87 KiB) Viewed 731 times
JBella

Re: Taos Region

Postby Jasper » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:36 pm

Nice shot. You are always ready for it!
Go when the going is good.
Jasper

Postby danshorb » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:03 pm

Taos Highline Cam today. Just a dusting, but with the wind there'll be some pockets.
Attachments
TaosHighlineCam.png
TaosHighlineCam.png (664.69 KiB) Viewed 697 times
The only two things you can truly depend on are Gravity and Greed. -Jack Palance
danshorb

Postby danshorb » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:18 am

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (120.99 KiB) Viewed 677 times
Well, well, well. Looks like this one might stick. Coming in on an east wind (note the east side of the trees are clear of rime), so loading will be upper west crestlines, although the winds should change to NW later today.
Getting more than the San Juans on this one.

https://www.skitaos.com/ski-ride/cams-conditions
Last edited by danshorb on Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only two things you can truly depend on are Gravity and Greed. -Jack Palance
danshorb

Postby JBella » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:32 pm

This storm was quick and started strong, tapering off now as the jet stream is pulling the northerly moisture flow slightly east of the front range. From town to treeline at about 1pm snowfall total range; 7k 2", 9k 3-6", 12k 5-7" with reports of up to 10" near the Bull of the Woods/Gold Hill saddle. Winds were generally steady but light throughout the morning, from the west and north-northwest. Clouds are burning off above the Rio Grande gorge and lifting to the higher half of the mountains, temps are warming enough to melt the snow below 8k.

Typical seasonal moisture flow from the northwest is continuing, another round of precipitation could arrive Monday night or Tuesday with modest accumulations in the southern Sangres. Temps should be cold enough through the weekend for this storm layer to settle and stick on north and east aspects and shaded terrain features across other slopes.
JBella

Postby danshorb » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:56 pm

As we begin the season, I'm putting away my paraglider (kinda, not really). Here's a couple things I try to keep in mind for framing wind direction when flying, that might help predicting windloading/cornicing:
First, I suggest getting the Windy App on your phone if you don't already have it.
Second, I pay attention to the 12k and 14k level winds, not just the Jet and surface winds. There are forecasts for these.
I keep in mind that air masses often have "sheer" boundary layers in them which can fluctuate 180 degrees from the layer below and above, so what we feel at 8k may not be what we would feel at 12k or 14k. Sometimes people think of air masses as blobs of jelly, when in actuality they act more like a layered cake in which directions and speeds can vary greatly. Typically once I'm below ridgelines, I know I'm feeling some version of wind that is affected by terrain. This can be particularly true in mountain valleys that produce both heated thermic flows and localized "splashing" of meteo winds. Aviation forecasts can often give us ground dwellers the best ridgetop forecasts. So I keep in mind that mid-elevation ground observations are not always good data points for ridgetop wind directions.
Today, most models, particularly the NAM3, RAP, and HRRR predicted what the highline cam showed at the 12k level, an East in the mid-teens from this morning then NW this evening. At least at the 12k level. (You can guess this by looking up the Beauford Scale: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaufort_scale )... For those of you that may be unfamiliar with these NAM RAP HRRR models, the RAP and HRRR are "rapid refreshing models" that produce rather accurate wind speeds and directions. Additionally, we can generally look at air pressure isobars and figure out general wind directions. 'Winds aloft,' which is what most ridgetop winds follow, typically follow "meteo" flows, which are mostly caused by pressure gradients in an air mass. As a high pressure comes in from the north, it follows that the wind direction will now start coming from that direction (at least at high altitudes).
Regarding "splashing of meteo-winds," you can almost imagine that in an FAST easterly flow coming up over the Wheeler/Frazier divide, like a rock in a river, the air could conceivably hit the Lake Fork side of Williams, and swirl northward around and down toward TSV, and could even create a giant eddy that flows backup into the Bull of the Woods area. Basic point is that if we know the meteo flow, as we travel through the backcountry, we can benefit from imagining the mountains as rocks sticking up into the meteo-wind river, and begin to analyze the splashing/eddying effects the mountains cause, and THEN, perhaps guess are windloading of snowpack.
Jet Stream pressures create many of our meteo flows. As Jared mentions jet stream is switching to the NW. Here is a good page to bookmark to see this: http://squall.sfsu.edu/scripts/jetstrea ... _fcst.html

HRR11.JPG
HRRR 11am, shows consistancy with the East flow wind effects in the snow around the camera.
HRR11.JPG (206.04 KiB) Viewed 669 times
HRR3.JPG
HRRR 5pm shows that it will crossload from the NW as Jared is reporting.
HRR3.JPG (177.95 KiB) Viewed 669 times
danshorb

Postby JBella » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:16 am

danshorb wrote:... Regarding "splashing of meteo-winds," you can almost imagine that in an FAST easterly flow coming up over the Wheeler/Frazier divide, like a rock in a river, the air could conceivably hit the Lake Fork side of Williams, and swirl northward around and down toward TSV, and could even create a giant eddy that flows backup into the Bull of the Woods area. ...

Similar to what happens on Wolf Creek Pass, this is a common occurrence on, and cause of often deeper snowfall amounts along Bull of the Wood's northern ridge
JBella

Postby JBella » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:29 am

Started snowing early sometime before 4, at 6 there was light but steady snowfall above 10k that gradually increased in intensity during the past few hours. Southwest flow with the storm tracking west-east, blustery west winds at times throughout the night are continuing now with stronger gusts. Snowed about two inches so far, small flakes and feels pretty wet. There's likely going to be some significant drifting and wind-loaded terrain features when this storm pulls out of the mountains this afternoon.
JBella

Return to Northern New Mexico 2019-2020 Conditions