SF Avalanche Talk

For more general backcountry snow talk that might not fit into the other forums.

Moderators: mark, scotthsu, Bob, Matt

SF Avalanche Talk

Postby jpurcellrd » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:55 pm

Hey,

Sorry, I've been busy lately.

I don't know if I want to take this one on, but....someone has too! I am fairly new to the area and am very very far from an avalanche expert. I do know how to dial a phone though.

I was thinking Tumble Root would be a good place due to large capacity seating, stage, mic, and and beeeeerrrrr.

There were couple people that mentioned they would do the talk. Kerry and Jasper?

If there is interest I could call and try to set it up or if someone has a different idea go for it! First we need a speaker. Then nail down potential dates that the speaker is available.

If we can't find an avalanche expert locally I have a friend with "Friends of the San Juans" that expressed interest in doing something in Santa Fe area. I can contact him if no one would talk.

February seems like a good time. I think an early week night?

I don't know the legality of putting something like this on however. Please pipe in if anyone has experience in this area. Meaning liability.
jpurcellrd

Re: SF Avalanche Talk

Postby Jasper » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:42 pm

Hi everybody,

I am very interested in giving a Know Before You Go Avalanche Awareness Talk. I have spent a significant amount of my life in and around the Santa Fe Ski Area. The place is very dear to me, and I am nervous that a avalanche incident will occur in the area before too long. I will contribute my experience and knowledge in the hopes of preventing this. I am an avalanche professional currently living in SIlverton.

I am flexible with the venue. I cannot commit to an exact date at the moment, but should be able to soon. It looks like sometime Feb 18-20 or 25-27 could work for me. I'll check back in soon.

Jasper
Go when the going is good.
Jasper

Postby sody » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:15 pm

As I suggested before, might be worth talking to ASAR too if they are interested in participating.
sody

Postby jpurcellrd » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:57 am

Thanks Jasper!

By the way I don't need to have control of this! If there is a better venue or someone is willing to offer up a logical place please chime in. I feel like someone just had to get the wheels turning on the topic.

If not I am happy to make calls to set up a place, put up fliers to promote, etc. etc.

Jared
jpurcellrd

Postby JBella » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:32 am

jpurcellrd wrote: ...If we can't find an avalanche expert locally...

This is a great idea, just wanted to contribute my opinion that there is no such thing as an avalanche expert. There are expert skiers and snowboarders, regarding avalanches and snow physics there are people who know an awful lot within this field, and there is much more that is not known and always will be as conditions change and evolve, so much that no one can be considered an expert.
Last edited by JBella on Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
JBella

Postby jpurcellrd » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:45 am

JBella,

Thanks for the correction! Excuse my vocabulary.

What's the politically correct terminology for an individual that knows more about snow science/avalanches than the general backcountry skiing/snowboarding populations? Avalanche Professional?

Thanks in advance.

Jared
jpurcellrd

Postby Jasper » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:07 pm

In the United States avalanche professional is widely used for forecasters, patrollers, educators, and rescuers.
Jasper

Postby Laptopia » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:08 pm

Wow, this would be great. Thanks, Jasper! I really hope this works out.
Laptopia

Postby Jasper » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:44 pm

Hey everybody.

I am still hoping to come down and give a talk. I want to come when I have a few days to ski around before hand, and I just need to find the time to fit it in.

Would people be opposed to a weekday? Wednesday may be the best for me.

To add several levels of complexity to my planning, would anybody be interested in taking a one day avalanche rescue course? The talk would be free, the course would not.

Hope to see you all next month. Stay safe and enjoy the winter!
Jasper

Postby trevdog » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:18 am

I'd certainly be interested in attending the talk, and possibly the rescue course as well. Weekends are a more sure thing for my schedule, but weekdays are free sometimes too. If I'm available, I'd be happy to drive/carpool up from Abq.
trevdog

Postby jpurcellrd » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:18 am

I believe if you schedule one or both you will have a full class and talk if the word gets out!
jpurcellrd

Postby adam.ly » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:26 am

Count me in if it's happening sometime Feb 17 to 20.

Would be into the course as well!
adam.ly

Postby roxtar » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:53 pm

I know of several of us in Los Alamos that would be interested in this.
Ian Malcolm wrote:I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation. So I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.
T
roxtar

Postby areilly777 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:56 pm

Please also let me know. I will try to make it if i can. Thanks
areilly777

Return to General Talk