[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
NNMAE.org • View topic - SF Avalanche Talk

SF Avalanche Talk

For more general backcountry snow talk that might not fit into the other forums.

Moderators: mark, scotthsu, Bob, Matt

SF Avalanche Talk

Postby jpurcellrd » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:55 pm

Hey,

Sorry, I've been busy lately.

I don't know if I want to take this one on, but....someone has too! I am fairly new to the area and am very very far from an avalanche expert. I do know how to dial a phone though.

I was thinking Tumble Root would be a good place due to large capacity seating, stage, mic, and and beeeeerrrrr.

There were couple people that mentioned they would do the talk. Kerry and Jasper?

If there is interest I could call and try to set it up or if someone has a different idea go for it! First we need a speaker. Then nail down potential dates that the speaker is available.

If we can't find an avalanche expert locally I have a friend with "Friends of the San Juans" that expressed interest in doing something in Santa Fe area. I can contact him if no one would talk.

February seems like a good time. I think an early week night?

I don't know the legality of putting something like this on however. Please pipe in if anyone has experience in this area. Meaning liability.
jpurcellrd

Re: SF Avalanche Talk

Postby Jasper » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:42 pm

Hi everybody,

I am very interested in giving a Know Before You Go Avalanche Awareness Talk. I have spent a significant amount of my life in and around the Santa Fe Ski Area. The place is very dear to me, and I am nervous that a avalanche incident will occur in the area before too long. I will contribute my experience and knowledge in the hopes of preventing this. I am an avalanche professional currently living in SIlverton.

I am flexible with the venue. I cannot commit to an exact date at the moment, but should be able to soon. It looks like sometime Feb 18-20 or 25-27 could work for me. I'll check back in soon.

Jasper
Jasper

Postby sody » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:15 pm

As I suggested before, might be worth talking to ASAR too if they are interested in participating.
sody

Postby jpurcellrd » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:57 am

Thanks Jasper!

By the way I don't need to have control of this! If there is a better venue or someone is willing to offer up a logical place please chime in. I feel like someone just had to get the wheels turning on the topic.

If not I am happy to make calls to set up a place, put up fliers to promote, etc. etc.

Jared
jpurcellrd

Postby JBella » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:32 am

Last edited by JBella on Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
JBella

Postby jpurcellrd » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:45 am

JBella,

Thanks for the correction! Excuse my vocabulary.

What's the politically correct terminology for an individual that knows more about snow science/avalanches than the general backcountry skiing/snowboarding populations? Avalanche Professional?

Thanks in advance.

Jared
jpurcellrd

Postby Jasper » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:07 pm

In the United States avalanche professional is widely used for forecasters, patrollers, educators, and rescuers.
Jasper

Postby Laptopia » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:08 pm

Wow, this would be great. Thanks, Jasper! I really hope this works out.
Laptopia

Postby Jasper » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:44 pm

Hey everybody.

I am still hoping to come down and give a talk. I want to come when I have a few days to ski around before hand, and I just need to find the time to fit it in.

Would people be opposed to a weekday? Wednesday may be the best for me.

To add several levels of complexity to my planning, would anybody be interested in taking a one day avalanche rescue course? The talk would be free, the course would not.

Hope to see you all next month. Stay safe and enjoy the winter!
Jasper

Postby trevdog » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:18 am

I'd certainly be interested in attending the talk, and possibly the rescue course as well. Weekends are a more sure thing for my schedule, but weekdays are free sometimes too. If I'm available, I'd be happy to drive/carpool up from Abq.
trevdog

Postby jpurcellrd » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:18 am

I believe if you schedule one or both you will have a full class and talk if the word gets out!
jpurcellrd

Postby adam.ly » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:26 am

Count me in if it's happening sometime Feb 17 to 20.

Would be into the course as well!
adam.ly

Postby roxtar » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:53 pm

I know of several of us in Los Alamos that would be interested in this.
roxtar

Postby areilly777 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:56 pm

Please also let me know. I will try to make it if i can. Thanks
areilly777

Return to General Talk