General Talk

For more general backcountry snow talk that might not fit into the other forums.

Moderators: mark, scotthsu, Bob, Matt

General Talk

Postby Bob » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:01 am

I thought I'd try out a forum for general discussions that didn't pertain directly to current local snow conditions, community, and education. I kind of worry about over-dividing the forum, but it's worth a try.
Bob

Re: General Talk

Postby scotthsu » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:52 am

Hey Bob, can you please remind me what the latest uphill policy is at Ski Santa Fe?
scotthsu

Postby scotthsu » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:15 am

Bob, I see the uphill policy posted here: https://skisantafe.com/tips-safety. So never mind my question unless you have something to add. Cheers, Scott.
scotthsu

Postby Bob » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:32 am

I used to have a copy of it here at home, but I can't seem to find it. Basically:
- Stay far to the sides of the trails, it's a safety thing
- Stay far away from snowmaking equipment (cables and hoses will hurt you, and damage from edges endangers the snowmaking crew)
- Stay far away from grooming operations
- Single file while going up hill - don't skin abreast in groups. You will get a talking-to if you do this during operating hours.
- Dogs must be leashed (to which I'd add 'clean up their crap!'). Patrollers hate yelling at you about it, but they will. Employees have been bitten, dogs sometimes chase snowcats and snowmobiles, which sucks!
- better yet, leave the dogs at home, run them somewhere else <- that's me editorializing. I love dogs, just not at a downhill ski resort.
- Closed areas are closed, stay out - you can't go in them just because you didn't buy a ticket.
- On fresh snow days, for goodness' sake STAY OUT of the avy-prone areas; north of Roadrunner ridge, Sunset Bowl, Big Rocks Chutes and Bowl, Ivan's, Benny's Cliff, Tequila Trees, Chiles Chutes, etc. Patrol is conducting avy mitigation and would feel pretty terrible if they brought a slide down on you.

There are no restricted hours, but please use some common sense, people. The management doesn't have to allow skinning, and when it gets to be a pain in the ass they may close it down. Some people will say that since it's public lands they can do what they want, but that is not true. The land is essentially leased by the ski area and they can close it off, the same as national parks, scout camps, mining, or logging operations.

EDIT: Ah, I see you found that Scott. I'm gonna leave this up because of my editorializing, and so that people can ask questions if they want.
Bob

Postby scotthsu » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:36 am

Thanks Bob!
scotthsu

The French

Postby Dorman » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:33 pm

Dear Frenchmen and Women,

Thank you for all the cool words.
Dorman

Postby Joeytwist1 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:02 am

Hey guys, new to the forums, figured this would be a good place to say hi.

Looking forward to joining in on the discussions.
Joeytwist1

Return to General Talk