NNM ski spots: Guide book, list, compendium?

For more general backcountry snow talk that might not fit into the other forums.

Moderators: mark, scotthsu, Bob, Matt

NNM ski spots: Guide book, list, compendium?

Postby cloud cult » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:16 am

Hello all -- have recently moved to Durango and while there is a wealth of knowledge about the San Juans I can find less about where to ski in New Mexico.

Primarily I am looking for a guidebook or a list of ski spots. Does such a thing exist?

I am especially interested to know if anyone ever skis off of US 64 near Chama and Brazos, or in Valles Caldera, in addition to spots near Questa and Red River.
cloud cult

Re: NNM ski spots: Guide book, list, compendium?

Postby Bob » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:01 pm

Heh. No guidebook, NM is kind of underpopulated and mysterious. This site is as close as anything like a list of spots. You're probably going to have to ask about specific areas, or search threads.

People do ski off of US 64 between Tres Piedras and Tierra Amarilla. There's one obvious peak on the north side that people have called Telemark Hill. And there is skiing near Chama, but I'm not personally familiar.
Bob

Postby JBella » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:05 pm

This site here is possibly the best source for info, I don't know of any backcountry skiing books about our area, *** it's possible one may be in the works currently ***. As far as the places you asked about, Highway 64 near Hopewell Lake accesses some nice terrain, much of it requires a snowmobile or long approach across flatter land to access the short but sweet rideable lines. There's a few closer to the road but most of the appealing terrain is further out. I would recommend researching land management boundaries before travelling in this area, winter or summer, and avoid entering private property even inholdings surrounded by public lands - lest you find yourself on the wrong side of an effigy hanging below a sign reading "We do it the old way" - the locals here are not very friendly towards trespassers. Most of the area closer to Chama, including the Brazos is entirely private, Carson National Forest boundary is by Forest Roads 64A and 64D, a few miles west of Hopewell Lake.

Questa and Red River are suitable places to start from to find some amazing wilderness. Much like the Taos side of the range you'll find avalanche terrain in every direction. Look for Cabresto Creek road and Cabresto Lake as points to access some great terrain from. Enjoy the adventure!
JBella

Postby roxtar » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:13 pm

Ian Malcolm wrote:I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation. So I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.
T
roxtar

Postby roxtar » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:18 pm

cloud cult wrote:or in Valles Caldera,
There's a nice little, easy-to-get-to spot right across the road.
Ian Malcolm wrote:I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation. So I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.
T
roxtar

Postby cloud cult » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:18 am

Thanks!

Is Telemark Hill formally known as Jawbone Mountain?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Tres+ ... 84!5m1!1e4

And the spot near Hopewell that is helped by a snowmobile -- is that north of the highway or south?
cloud cult

Return to General Talk