Tech in the Backcountry

Avalanche education topics

Moderators: Bob, Matt, mark, scotthsu

Tech in the Backcountry

Postby JBella » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:30 pm

JBella

Re: Tech in the Backcountry

Postby Bob » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:02 pm

I've been checking out the info on that thing. Without ever having put my hands on one, or even seen one, I'll say this ( :wink: ): I think you'll still need a pit to tell how well layers are bonding, but once you have a pit profile and shear info you could take this thing and punch more holes with it so you MIGHT be able to tell if the layers are similar. Because the frustrating thing about pits is that just a few meters away you might get a completely different result.

That and the web link potential, but I use the Ullr Labs app to record my obs at work, and it produces a very nice profile and graphic.

Data, lots of data.
Bob

Postby JBella » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:25 am

Thanks for your reply Bob! Without having any firsthand knowledge of this device either I can't say much, other than I generally wouldn't rely on any digital device to influence decisions. I think this may be something that leads to people making more hasty assessments under a false guise of reliability, or it may be a very useful tool if used how you describe, IF it works as it's meant to.
JBella

Postby Bob » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:42 pm

Yeah, I guess I wondered if the, um, less-than-educated masses ( :wink: ) would just punch it into the snow, look at the readout, shrug, and drop in anyway. But I wonder pretty much the same thing about avy air bags and even beacons.

It's pretty spendy, and for at least the first season they're only selling it to professionals, so there's that. But I hear that wealthy yuppies are flocking to the backcountry, so maybe they'll sell a buttload when they put them on the open market.
Bob

Return to Education