Last El Nino year for TSV

Avalanche education topics

Moderators: scotthsu, Bob, Matt, mark

Last El Nino year for TSV

Postby sriella » Thu May 15, 2014 5:13 pm

It seems there will be a significant El Nino effect in place next winter. I was wondering if anyone had any information on the last time this happened and what the snowfall was like for the TSV area. Any info would be great.
sriella

Re: Last El Nino year for TSV

Postby JBella » Fri May 16, 2014 11:49 am

2009-10. 386 inches where I measure on Frazer Mountain, north aspect close to 10,300'. Decent early season but not great, we had some of the better snow in the Rockies during November and December. The Nino really picked up late January that year with a series of strong wet storms thru late March, culminating with a 22 inch storm mid April. Mid March there was a natural avalanche cycle, Wilderness bowl slid huge R4D4, all the way around from What's Mine/Yours Couloirs to the ridge between the SE and E sides of Kachina, taking out 2-3' diameter trees and flagging others 25 feet above the snow surface near the bottom of the basin. The Northwest side of Wheeler also slide, clearing the gully of 25-30 year old trees and running out several hundred feet into the trees above William's Lake. That was significant because that gully is the old hiking trail up Wheeler, hence people tend to use it for Winter access as well. I've climbed it several times before, and a few times that Spring after that event to check it out, now mostly avoid that route.
JBella

Return to Education