Got CPR?

Avalanche education topics

Moderators: Bob, Matt, mark, scotthsu

Got CPR?

Postby Bob » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:01 am

You've got the gear, you've got your avy class, you practice regularly...how about your basic 1st responder skills like CPR?:
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/55620031-78/woman-avalanche-hoyal-backcountry.html.csp
Bob

Re: Got CPR?

Postby VTSVJohnny » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:12 am

I just got re certified, its 30 compressions to two breaths fyi.
VTSVJohnny

Postby Bob » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:19 am

Cool. Did you take a BLS level course? It's my understanding that the 'civilian' level courses now teach a no breaths version. The thinking being that circulation is the key to resuscitation, and the breaths don't add that much oxygenation and can tend to distract rescuers from effective compression.
Bob

Postby JBella » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:25 pm

This was mentioned in my AMA WFR class two years ago, that some are teaching 30 compressions and no breaths. We were also taught to use 30 compressions and two breaths (for at least 30 minutes once cpr is started). Our instructor was a longtime paramedic with Taos County and Ski Patroller at TSV, he made a strong point that current techniques have been changing a lot he past ten years and the no breaths method is becoming more popular in basic "civilian" courses but isn't the standard that is taught in wilderness medicine. He also stated that with our evolving understanding of physiology it may be the accepted method within a few years but it's not likely. This makes me think about different potential scenarios where getting fresh air into a patient's lungs may or may not be beneficial, i.e. high altitude environments with factors like a patient's age and where they are from, as well as different injuries a patient may sustain that don't allow for aggressive compressions or breaths...
JBella

Postby Bob » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:57 am

I guess the take-away point is that it doesn't do much good to provide oxygen to the lungs if you aren't circulating it effectively to the organs. Pump that chest!
Bob

Return to Education