sobering and educational avi report

Avalanche education topics

Moderators: scotthsu, Bob, Matt, mark

sobering and educational avi report

Postby Kerry » Sun May 01, 2011 2:24 pm

http://www.nwac.us/media/uploads/documents/accidents/2010_2011/Cashmere%20Mt%20Avalanche%20Accident%20Summary_3-5-11.pdf
Friends and Others I Hope to Ski With,
Note the 2 x Level II's in the party, and despite the incomplete attempts to mitigate risk, someone skied a convex roll-over to a sparsely-treed gully/strainer and catastrophe. -Kerry
Kerry

Re: sobering and educational avi report

Postby Bob » Sun May 01, 2011 6:32 pm

What a horrible injury!

I've read that people with avalanche training are more likely to be caught in an avy. But also that women are less likely to be caught. Yet another reason to ski with grrls. 8)
Bob

Postby Kerry » Sun May 01, 2011 6:56 pm

At our age, Bob, skiing with the girls is a likely safety benefit. I think the stats also show that younger men are apt to show-off for the girls. Note that there was a young woman in the party.
I wonder if someone had been quick with a tourniquet if they could have saved his life. I've thought of rubber ski straps as a possible tourniquet for arms; perhaps doubled for a leg. Perhaps someone with physiological expertise could indicate if such a cinch strap could be effective?
Kerry

Postby Bob » Sun May 01, 2011 10:41 pm

I wondered about a tourniquet. This is all Monday-morning quarterbacking stuff, but I would have looked hard at Voile straps or bandannas or even strips of clothing and using a ski pole or shovel handle though a 'biner to twist those down tight above the amputation. I would also consider placing additional material under the tourniquet(s) over the femoral artery to help increase the pressure on it. But I wasn't there and maybe there were other mitigating circumstances.

I just looked it up in my EMT textbook and the only thing it adds is that you should use wide material (I guess Voile straps would be plan B then) to prevent damage to the soft tissue and nerves.
Bob

Postby VTSVJohnny » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:44 pm

wow just read this report.....dismembered leg....just wow
VTSVJohnny

Return to Education