Ski area touring poll.

Moderators: mark, scotthsu, Bob, Matt

Do you tour up ski areas and if so, where?

Angel Fire
No votes
Pajarito
33%
Red River
No votes
Sandia
33%
Sipapu
No votes
Santa Fe
33%
Taos "area"
No votes
Apache
No votes

Total votes : 12

Ski area touring poll.

Postby mark » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:21 pm

I'm curious how many people are out there skinning up the slopes.
mark
Site Admin

Postby Taostele » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:03 am

The base at Santa Fe is 18 miles from my door step, so....
Taostele

Skinning Up Ski Areas

Postby Wobage » Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:06 pm

Please always check with the ski area to find out if skinning/hiking/snowshoeing up are OK – as a bureaucratic and pragmatic reminder, it varies with the ski area and is not only a courtesy, but a responsibility to ask first.
Wobage

Postby TeleRanger » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:40 am

Most of my ski area laps are at the Weak Peak, a.k.a. Sandia Peak. Will do a lap or two before [weekday] work and after any significant storm. Will also do a quick lap before having to teach on the weekends, does anybody need a tele lesson?, at Sandia. And when the snow conditions and moon are in phase, like right now, will skin/hitch/tour a few laps.

Sometimes tour out of SF and Taos. And on 'feast' years, like I'm hoping this is going to be, will skin up Lost Almost, like we did on Dec. 30.

Happy New Year,

-Barry
alias, TeleRanger
TeleRanger

Los Brazos...

Postby SFPowderJunky » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:47 pm

is supposed to be bad ass terrain, as in big open rolling hills.
“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.” - John Muir
SFPowderJunky

Good lesson learned

Postby emackerrow » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:02 pm

Many years ago, in the days of deep powder dumps, we slept in the back of my truck at Taos to ski Lake Fork Peak after a 3 foot dump the previous day. We woke up to another 2 feet of new. Since the avy risk was high in the Williams Lake drainage, we opted to skin up Kachina Peak at the Taos Ski Valley, figuring stupidly that "it would be safer at the area from slides". So at 4:30am we started skiinng in the dark. Half way up Kachina, from top of Hunziker Bowl, we were blasted from the air recoil cannon for avalanche control, in addition to being below ski patroller's hand charges! Needless to say we ripped the skins and turned around quickly. When we got to El Funko, it slid, entirely after one ski cut on it. Now... TSV does not allow people to ski after hours there. Just a heads up if you are in an area, in the early morning hours after a big dump.
emackerrow

Sandia Skin

Postby Kerry » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:24 am

Often take the tram for a run and a skin prior to work. Also enjoy the area from Kiwanis meadow through the "gravel pit", straight down until reaching the cliffs above the resort parking area. Anyone found any of the gullies through the cliff skiable, i.e. clear of deadfall & brush?
Kerry

Postby Brian » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:50 am

Does anyone know if you are permitted to tour around Taos(ski area) after the season has ended? I have heard of different experiences from different people, some saying that they parked in the lot and were asked to leave as it was private property. I am guessing that was at the base area, but that's where you would park for Bull of the Woods etc.

Anyone have the definitive word on skiing/touring in TSV after they have closed?
Brian

Postby Matt » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:56 am

brij0626 wrote:Does anyone know if you are permitted to tour around Taos(ski area) after the season has ended? I have heard of different experiences from different people, some saying that they parked in the lot and were asked to leave as it was private property. I am guessing that was at the base area, but that's where you would park for Bull of the Woods etc.

Anyone have the definitive word on skiing/touring in TSV after they have closed?

As far as I know it is not a problem. It is USFS land and seasonal operations have ceased. I have skied Kachina in the late spring early summer, but usually on the return from Williams Lake Basin, and have never climbed through TSV.

Wobage would be the authority on this, so if he chimes in I would follow his guidance.

cheers
-Matt
Matt

TSV Area Post Season Skiing

Postby Wobage » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:28 am

Technically, when TSV has the signs out showing that the area is closed (pre or post season), then the Natl Forest in their permit area is closed to hiking/skinning up and skiing/boarding/snowshoeing due to safety concerns (avalanche, equipment, etc). The base areas (main area and base of Chair 4) are on private land so anyone attempting to hike up is technically trespassing until they reach Natl Forest. The Natl Forest backcountry outside of the ski area is always open.
Wobage

Re: TSV Area Post Season Skiing

Postby Brian » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:34 pm

Wobage wrote:Technically, when TSV has the signs out showing that the area is closed (pre or post season), then the Natl Forest in their permit area is closed to hiking/skinning up and skiing/boarding/snowshoeing due to safety concerns (avalanche, equipment, etc). The base areas (main area and base of Chair 4) are on private land so anyone attempting to hike up is technically trespassing until they reach Natl Forest. The Natl Forest backcountry outside of the ski area is always open.

Thanks for the responses.

I was just looking at my wheeler peak topo and I am guessing the shaded area at the base area and the kachina lift is the private land.
Brian

Return to Northern New Mexico 2006-2007 Conditions