Williams Lake Basin?

Moderators: mark, scotthsu, Bob, Matt

Postby Brian » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:56 am

Wobage wrote:Brij, great ! I have two interested in Sunday ( Peter and TJ on the nmskiing Yahoo user group) and will aim for Sunday unless by Thurs forecast the weather looks better for Sat.

Sounds good, let me know which day you guys decide on.

Brian
Brian

Postby Wobage » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:35 pm

Howdy, looks like Sunday will be go for a tour looking for turns up past Williams Lake. I will aim to be a the trailhead at 0900 - look for old blue Ford Ranger w/white topper. Weather looks better for Sat, but taking the chance that a day more to corn up with the MF overnight will be worth the possible afternoon T-showers on Sun.
Wobage

Postby Brian » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:33 am

Wobage wrote:Howdy, looks like Sunday will be go for a tour looking for turns up past Williams Lake. I will aim to be a the trailhead at 0900 - look for old blue Ford Ranger w/white topper. Weather looks better for Sat, but taking the chance that a day more to corn up with the MF overnight will be worth the possible afternoon T-showers on Sun.

I should be able to make it up there, I'll be in a silver Impreza and on some BD Havocs.
Brian

Postby Wobage » Tue May 08, 2007 6:35 pm

We had a great tour and turns off Lake Fork Peak last Sunday. Planning on heading up again May 12 oe 13 (Sat or Sun) and as usual will watch teh weather and decide Thurs which looks best (and also what day works out for those interested). Will also post on Yahoo user group email. Rob
Wobage

Lake Fork Corn Harvest - Sun, May 13 - Mothers Day !

Postby Wobage » Thu May 10, 2007 6:23 pm

Looks like Sunday best weather day (again!) and it gives one more day for some MF and ripening corn - there should finally be some corn as the last precip event was mostly rain up that high and we have had some clear nights and warm days. I drove up to the parking area today and still able to skin right from Lift 4 base.

Sooooooooo, I plan on being at the Bavarian parking (saves the walk from the hiker trailhead parking area!) Sun at 0900 - Drop a note if you think you might be there. Later, Rob
Wobage

Lake Fork Peak - May 13 - Start of corn harvest

Postby Wobage » Mon May 14, 2007 10:30 am

Best corn was below the peak but the weather held out (again) and was a great tour for turns. Pics on link below (may have to copy and paste...)

http://picasaweb.google.com/brij0626/LakeForkPeak51307
Wobage

Postby Brian » Sat May 19, 2007 5:40 pm

I made a quick trip up to Williams Lake today and skinned up to the saddle near Sin Nombre. The weather started out sunny, but it began snowing around 11:30, I made it to the saddle around 12:00. The snow was firm, but it had warmed up just enough that I was able to make some great turns. I had time to ski some more, but it started rumbling in the distance so I headed back to the car.

Brian

Postby Wobage » Sun May 20, 2007 1:48 pm

Brian, glad you were able to make it up to Sin Nombre yesterday for some turns. I arrived back to late last night to head up there today - looks like weather the same pattern as yesterday. I plan at least one day of skiing over Mem Day Weekend and will watch the weather to choose the date.
Wobage

Postby Brian » Tue May 22, 2007 7:22 am

Rob, it was great to up there one more time as I am out for any skiing the next two weekends. Though the trip out from the lake is definitely becoming more interesting as the snow melts, though I was still able to ski within sight of the Kachina lift.

It was great to get out skiing up there with you guys. I think I might try and get up to the San Juans for some skiing in a couple weeks.
Brian

Cream and Corn

Postby Wobage » Mon May 28, 2007 7:00 pm

Was only a short hike in on Sat to was able to start skiing, and a few rock mazes to wiggle through, but the snow on Sin Nombre was best of the corn season - Smooth cream on top and solid corn base below. At least 4 skied off the top of Sin Nombre and through the chutes (I skied the nice ramp). LF Peak was also well skied. Still enough snow for another week or so, but will just require longer hikes.
Wobage

Lake Fork skiing perfectly!

Postby scotthsu » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:49 am

I skied Lake Fork Peak (NE face + N facing couloir off E fin) yesterday (6/2) with a friend PJ. It was well worth it!

We started hiking from the hiker parking lot around 6:30am. We put on skins just beyond the area with downed trees from an old avalanche and were able to skin fairly continuously with a few shoulder carries. Just before getting to the lake, we headed SW through the trees and came out on the talus slopes high above the lake. We had to carry our skis through a few discontinuous sections of talus (difficult in ski boots) but then were able to stay on snow the rest of the way to the summit. We bootpacked the last 700 vertical feet or so to the summit up the NE face. It was mostly still firm but soft in places, and we never postholed. We summited around 9:40 and enjoyed the views and beautiful weather. The ski descent was really nice. The snow was in perfect soft corn condition for skiing. We skied down to about 12000' and then booted up the obvious N facing couloir on the E fin of Lake Fork. The snow here was a bit firmer due to the pure N facing aspect. We had a brief snack at the top and some more nice turns down the 400 vertical ft couloir, before heading all the way back out. We were able to ski continuous snow, mostly following the trail, back almost to the downed-trees area. Cold beers at the car finished the perfect bc day. This was a great ski season, >7 months at this point!

I'd say LF and No Name could still be skiable for another week at least, but the approach will get increasingly difficult with more and more hiking and talus scrambling.
scotthsu

Postby Bob » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:05 pm

Nice, scotthsu! It's amazing that there are still good turns to be had on LF this late in the year.
Bob

belated TR

Postby scotthsu » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:53 pm

here's a belated TR for our June ski of Lake Fork Peak in 2007:
http://www.summitpost.org/view_object.p ... _id=503580
scotthsu

Previous

Return to Northern New Mexico 2006-2007 Conditions