Nambé 3/10/07

Moderators: Bob, Matt, mark, scotthsu

Nambé 3/10/07

Postby Bob » Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:59 pm

I went to the Nambé today with a partner (Paul) and thought you might like to hear how it went. We were originally thinking about maybe going to Santa Fe Baldy, but the weather wasn't that great so we settled for the Nambé. Judging from the snow in the Nambé basin, it would probably be wise to wait just a bit for SF Baldy.

We skinned in through the Santa Fe ski area up to Raven's Ridge at the saddle between the highest point on Raven's Ridge and Deception Peak.

The open chutes up by Deception Peak looked a little wind-hammered so we skied into Nambé down one of the treed chutes from the saddle. Here's a topo showing the red X about where we dropped in to ski down:
http://tinyurl.com/2yes92

There are a couple of tree-filled chutes that drop into Nambé from the saddle and I recommend either one - nice consistant soft snow, the best of the whole day.

Next we skied WNW across the basin toward the saddle between Lake Peak and Heaven's Hill. We climbed up to the saddle, which was a bit of a struggle due to breakable crust) then went up to the peak of Heaven's Hill and skied down the prominent chute that falls pretty much from the peak of Heaven's Hill to the W toward Nambé Lake. It's a steep and fun chute with about three chokes, and because of the overcast the snow was pretty firm, but we had a blast. Be careful to pick the right entrance. It's a really great chute.

Then we skinned/booted up to the climber's left of the chute that most people call "The Boot Up Chute" and skied back out through the ski area. This climb up out of the Nambé basin was kind of crappy due to crust and sugary snow, but we couldn't figure out another way to do it.

I can't really recommend skiing down the "Boot Up Chute" right now due to funky snow, and we didn't go up to the main chute that drops off of Deception Peak so I can't comment on the snow there. But I'm sure that the best snow was in the tree-filled chutes that drop from the saddle between Raven's and Deception.
Bob

Postby clmbnski » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:03 pm

I have been wanting to hit up that west facing chute for a long time. Maybe next weekend. How was the snow in the Chute, baked from the sun?
clmbnski

Postby Bob » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:32 am

clmbnski wrote:I have been wanting to hit up that west facing chute for a long time. Maybe next weekend. How was the snow in the Chute, baked from the sun?

I wouldn't call it baked - more like early corn. On our visit the overcast kept it from getting soft. No problem getting an edge in, but you had to stay on top of it. If it had been just a couple of degrees warmer it would have been really sweet.

Here are a couple pictures that John Red-Horse took of me in that chute in May 2005. There was more snow then than right now:
Bob

Return to Northern New Mexico 2006-2007 Conditions