Big Slide

Moderators: mark, scotthsu, Bob, Matt

Big Slide

Postby Bucky Mullet » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:04 am

Big Slide in the towers line in Santa fe (watershed) today (2/18/07, sunrise). All are well, but more information would be helpful.
Bucky Mullet

Postby Matt » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:20 am

Not surprising to see midwinter activity on that aspect of the SF Watershed. It is probably the worst aspect of out there around Ski Santa Fe.

I'd love to hear more if anyone has information.

-Matt
Matt

Postby rich » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:02 am

Was that natural? After my tours last week I was curious about east aspects. I would imagine there was some wind loading on top of a nice sun crust. maybe I'll go take a look at that tomorrow morning... Muy interesante.
rich

Postby rich » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:30 am

I went up this morning and took a look but couldn't really discern anything. Wind was 40-50mph, blowing snow and fog. The wind was transporting a lot of snow into the chute and probably had been doing so for quite a while. So it looked filled in to me. Couldn't see a crown, sidewalls or debris. I wasn't about to hop in there to investigate either. Too bad as I would have really liked to figure out what happened.
rich

Postby Bucky Mullet » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:27 pm

Rich,
we were up yesterday for a heaven's hill run (thanks for breaking trail the day before). The slide behind the towers was still visible on the far looker's left aspect. It was definately skier released (I talked to the skier), but couldn't get much information out of him. Lesson: test before you go...
Bucky Mullet

Postby matthias » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:56 am

"The slide behind the towers was still visible on the far looker's left aspect. It was definately skier released (I talked to the skier), but couldn't get much information out of him. Lesson: test before you go..."

Is this the southeast side towards the watershed? Could you describe which side of the slope this came down? Thanks.
matthias

Return to Northern New Mexico 2006-2007 Conditions