Santa Fe Baldy and Nambé Chutes - 5/11 & 5/12

Moderators: mark, scotthsu, Bob, Matt

Santa Fe Baldy and Nambé Chutes - 5/11 & 5/12

Postby Bob » Sun May 13, 2007 5:32 pm

On Friday Mark, Matt and I decided to give Santa Fe Baldy a try. SF Baldy is the highest peak near Santa Fe, and requires about a four mile trek in (and out). Often by this time of year, the snow is so patchy that it just isn't worth it, but this year we were thinking that it might be good.

Not much to say about the long slog in, except that there was a little rock-hopping and mud skinning required here and there and the tele'ers seemed to have to wait a lot while the AT'er fiddled with his bindings...oh, and I fell in a creek while posing for a picture.

But we finally got to the top and scoped things out. We settled on a NE facing chute that Matt and I had skied a couple years ago. The chute is the narrower one that runs down the middle of the picture and has the nice rock walls on the skiers' right:

Mark (ball cap) and Matt (moto look) at the top, getting ready:

Mark went first...:

...and hung some steep turns in the great corn...:

...then cut loose:

Matt dropped in next and ripped the corn:

Matt showing some fine Bro Model tele steeze

We boooted back out of the cirque and enjoyed some mellow turns on a south facing slope going back to the trail out to the cars. The trail out was kind of heinous, long and boring. But worth it, even though there were some nervous moments when thunderheads started piling up and booming, dropping graupel, sleet, and finally rain. Oh, and we had to wait on the AT'er, but it was his skins rather than the bindings. We got to the cars just as the rain got serious, nine and a half hours after we left.

Thinking that since the skiing was so good on Santa Fe Baldy, Mark and I made plans to ski a much more accessible shot on Saturday - the Nambé chutes. John Red-Horse joined us and in the morning we skinned up over encouraging snow conditions through the Santa Fe ski area to Deception Peak. The weather was warm and clear, and we were a little too late for the nearby east-facing shots, so we headed right into the Nambé chutes to find...more great corn coverage.

It was so good that we took a couple of laps. Mark comes blasting out of the main chute:

John is next:

Sweeping turns on silky corn:

On the way back out through the ski area, we even managed top to bottom sweeping corn turns, not taking the skis off until we got to the parking lot. Not bad for mid-May in New Mexico.
Bob

Postby frank » Mon May 14, 2007 2:37 am

Thanks for the report. Looks great, I'm definitely going to have to get up to the Nambe area this week.
frank

Postby Brian » Wed May 16, 2007 6:16 am

^

Bob, that looked great. Were you the one that posted the TR on TGR? I had added some photos to that thread.

I might be interested in getting up to Santa Fe one more time this weekend, if anyone is interested.

Brian
Brian

Postby Bob » Wed May 16, 2007 8:10 am

That was me on TGR - you must be Artie.

I have to go to California this weekend, but I might be interested in Lake Fork the next weekend, depending on conditions. I was looking up at SF Baldy yesterday from in town in Santa Fe and from a distance it looked like things were melting pretty quickly.
Bob

Postby Matt » Wed May 16, 2007 12:38 pm

Bump for a few more pictures from Santa Fe Baldy.....

Bob waiting on Mark. I though AT was supposed to be much more efficient. This wasn't the only time us tele folks were waiting.....

Santa Fe Baldy. Mark and Bob silhouetted on top. The run skied started just behind me.

Bob dropping in after taking some great shots of Mark and I.

Matt

Postby mark » Wed May 16, 2007 3:52 pm

I hate both of you guys. Hear me? I hate you both.
mark
Site Admin

Postby Bob » Wed May 16, 2007 9:21 pm

mark wrote:I hate both of you guys. Hear me? I hate you both.

Oh, come on. After we waited so much for you?
Bob

Return to Northern New Mexico 2006-2007 Conditions