Conditions in and around ski Santa Fe

Moderators: mark, scotthsu, Bob, Matt

Conditions in and around ski Santa Fe

Postby SFPowderJunky » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:10 pm

I hiked Raven's Ridge today(from the corner of Sunset Trail) and took some photos of Nambe Chutes(Through the trees). The snow got increasingly heavy and wet while I was up there from 10 to 1 on Saturday the 14th. It was about 8 inches deep in the area and a foot deep up on Raven's Ridge from the Sunset Trail access. The skiing on Raven's Ridge was nice with a foot of pow. Down in the area the snow was so heavy it was sticking to my planks bad. I was walking like I was in snowshoes in places.
I don't know too much about Avalanches but the the chutes looked pretty wind blown wich aren't bad conditions for a descent. The other side of it is that the snow was getting very heavy which could be a disaster.

Here are the photos I took. They didn't come out well. Lot's of sun glare :( :
http://sdcfreeskier.com/photos/categories.php?cat_id=1[/img]
“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.” - John Muir
SFPowderJunky

Postby Brian » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:21 pm

A couple photos from the Nambe Basin on 4/22:

Brian

Nambe Chutes

Postby scotthsu » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:04 pm

Brij, we added a few more tracks around your 2 tracks later that day. It was a perfect day for bc. We skied down the chute around 12:30pm and then bootpacked the bottom part for 2 more laps before booting all the way back up the chute to looker's right. By then there were a total of 7 people in the basin (3 in my party and 2 other groups of 2). By the time we skied back down the ski basin, it was around 2:15pm and corning up good near the top and starting to get slushy at the bottom.

Before we skied the chute, we did a quick shovel shear test near the top of the chute, basically couldn't get the top layer to budge. The top layer was about 2" of fresh windblown snow, on top of about 14" of consolidated wintry snow. Both layers were well bonded to the layer below. The rest of the ~4ft snowpack was surprisingly uniform without any rotten hoar.

The upper half of the chute was fairly hard and slabby. The bottom half was pretty sweet turns on a few inches of soft powder.
scotthsu

Re: Nambe Chutes

Postby Brian » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:55 am

scotthsu wrote:Brij, we added a few more tracks around your 2 tracks later that day. It was a perfect day for bc. We skied down the chute around 12:30pm and then bootpacked the bottom part for 2 more laps before booting all the way back up the chute to looker's right. By then there were a total of 7 people in the basin (3 in my party and 2 other groups of 2). By the time we skied back down the ski basin, it was around 2:15pm and corning up good near the top and starting to get slushy at the bottom.

Before we skied the chute, we did a quick shovel shear test near the top of the chute, basically couldn't get the top layer to budge. The top layer was about 2" of fresh windblown snow, on top of about 14" of consolidated wintry snow. Both layers were well bonded to the layer below. The rest of the ~4ft snowpack was surprisingly uniform without any rotten hoar.

The upper half of the chute was fairly hard and slabby. The bottom half was pretty sweet turns on a few inches of soft powder.

It was definitely a great day, I skied down around 10:30 and it was a little hard up top, but as you found out there great/stable snow towards the bottom. I began to boot back up, but decided just to ski out on the Windsor Trail.

I'll probably try and head back up there one of the days this weekend.
Brian

Postby frank » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:32 pm

Skied in Nambe today. Lots of new snow, waist deep in spots in the bootpack out. Definitely excited about the coverage remaining. Very windblown/hardpack closer to Lake Peak, but the shots further down Raven's Ridge were well protected and sweet. Kind of bummed about the chair running and lots of tracks on the ski out through the ski basin.
frank

Postby Bob » Tue May 01, 2007 11:23 am

Mark and I hit the Nambé on Sunday and found some great creamy fresh snow. I'm way behind on my picture editing, but here are a couple of Mark:
Bob

Nambe?

Postby HoustonSage » Sun May 06, 2007 6:13 pm

Anyone ski Nambe this weekend? What are the coverage/stability/conditions right now?
HoustonSage

Return to Northern New Mexico 2006-2007 Conditions