looking for a partner..

Moderators: mark, scotthsu, Bob, Matt

looking for a partner..

Postby dnellans » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:26 pm

There isn't really a forum topic for this, so I'll post here in hopes Mark might create a new topic.

I just moved down to Santa Fe from SLC a few months ago. I don't know too many people down this way and no one that is interested in touring. Not being familiar with the area, if anyone is in need of a partner or willing to let me tag along with a group please give me a yell. I'm up for anything from lapping something all day to an easy cruise around just covering mileage.

Hope to hear from some of you!
dnellans

Postby mark » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:05 am

Hey. Welcome to NM. A lot of the bc skiers in this area stay on the slopes
until later in the spring when things solidify. You can also check out the
yahoo group 'nmskiing'. There's been some activity on there recently.
Keep looking, you'll run into some one heading out.
mark
Site Admin

Postby Matt » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:59 pm

Don't let Mark scare you away from skiing some great bc in New Mexico in mid-winter conditions. Things are just starting to shape up for the best terrain. The key is to properly evaluate the area you are skiing in and your route selection.

Currently though the conditions are a bit dicey for many of the standard lines in the region. The lack of early season snow, followed by several sig. snowfalls, high winds, and cold temperatures have made for an interesting snowpack (seems like the norm here in NM) that is quite variable across the northern mountains. However, if we see a period of warming I think that the snow will consolidate/stabilize nicely, and you will start to see more activity in the bc away from the immediate areas of the ski resorts.

Ski smart and be safe.

-Matt
Matt

Postby dnellans » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:39 am

Thanks for the tips guys... I have to admit, after talking to a handful of people here I realize how lax I've gotten about snow conditions being in the Cottonwoods in SLC. There are so many others testing and reporting to av.org that if the report looks ok most of us will head out and only test if we're in prime slide areas or see severe windloading. Perhaps its time for a refresher on my av courses!
dnellans

Postby Pajarito AA » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:41 am

Welcome to northern NM, dnellans.

You'll find that our "Continental" snowpack is different from the "Intermountain" snowpack you're used to in Utah. In Colorado (where I USED to live) the combination of population density and fairly easy backcountry access in the Front Range is the reason why they lead the country in avalanche deaths each year. I'd say that the Northern NM snowpack is similar, but backcountry skiing is still a "fringe" activity here, (which is why we don't have many avalanche fatalities), there's not really any official avalanche center (if there is, I'd like to hear about it) and there's a need for forums like this where we exchange info on a more grassroots level. Regardless of our "fringe" status, the backcountry community here seems to be very knowledgable.

In early 2008, another patroller at Pajarito and I will offer a combined Avy 1/Mountain Travel and Rescue course (we need to finish getting NSP instructor status). We are still sorting out the details, and I'll post them here when we have our course finalized. We hope to do an overnight field session near Williams Lake near Taos. That would be a great way to refresh your avy skills, but hopefully you find something before then.

Don't forget to practice with your beacon!

AA
Pajarito AA

Postby Nuro305 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:12 am

Welcome Indeed...... (yes, how about a new topic on trip planning and partner hook-ups and move this thread there)

I've been here for 10 years now and I never stop learning about great new stashes...
My ski friends and I live mostly in the East Mts. of Albuquerque but we ski everywhere, then do lot's of Mt. biking in the summer.

We just got back from premo' BC action in Wolf Crek (yes it's in Colorado but close!) I am very interested in that Avy class Pajarito AA mentioned in Taos. We were planning a 2 or 3 night overnighter there anyway. Let's get some people together and do it. (advanced date planning is laways a must, kid's work, etc...)

We also keep a never-too-serious blog up at: http://abq-aas.blogspot.com and more from 2005/6 action here : http://www.nuro.com/adventure Got footage there of us almost cought in a little Avy on the backside of the Santa Fe ski area in April! 2006! Scary....... It blew right by us.

We welcome anyone on our trips that is mountain-fit, good skiier and doesn't take themselves too seriously ;-)

We also ski at local ski areas, we'll be going up to Teluride and Durango this weekend to ski at the areas.

There's also nice BC action here in the Sandias (and almost no Avy danger anywhere) after a new snow, like skiing the powerline down from the radio towers. We'll do it next snow.

Paul,

"Life is to short to not spend the majority of it screwing around!"
Nuro305

Postby Matt » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:06 pm

Nuro305 wrote:Got footage there of us almost cought in a little Avy on the backside of the Santa Fe ski area in April! 2006! Scary....... It blew right by us.

Small wet slides limited to new fallen snow are common in the many chutes that feed into the Santa Fe Watershed from Deception Peak. It is due to the regular formation of ice crusts on those southerly slopes, and the nice bed surface it creates. Most of those chutes also have primo starting angles ranging from 35-40 degrees. After a new snow in the spring it is not uncommon to see these slopes let loose before 11am.

Be safe out there.

-Matt
Matt

Postby Bucky Mullet » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:08 am

My partner left for california. If anyone is interested in BC / sidecountry skiing ocused on PoW and / or technical lines (santa fe or Taos) drop me an email @ ahmueller@gmail.com
Thanks
Alex
Bucky Mullet

Experienced BC Skier SLOW skinner

Postby SFPowderJunky » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:08 pm

Looking for partner(s) that climb like a tortoise :D but are willing to ski anything from Heaven's Hill to Nambe Chutes. MUST HAVE AVI BEACON. tom@eldoradowebdesign.com
“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.” - John Muir
SFPowderJunky

Postby Nuro305 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:15 pm

Where is Nambe Chutes ?

I'm familiar with the Santa Fe ski area and I've been down from Deception Peak.

I'm probably gonna be up there Wed. with 2 other BC dudes if anyone else can join in.

Thanks,
Paul
Nuro305

Sorry gotta work but thanks for the invite.

Postby SFPowderJunky » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:24 pm

There are really 3 chutes to ski in Nambe Chutes. you access them by simply going north over Deception peak to where you are standing on the edge of the bowl with Lake peak to your north east or around to the right of you. Guy who is VERY knowledgeable about Avi safety and all the locals up there is Mar Himmerlich at 505-438-4771 I wouldn't go up to the chutes without beacons shovel probe etc and DEFINATELY don't climb back up the snowy part of the chute after skiing. VERY good way to trigger avi. ski down and out to winsor trail. I have a brand new BCA DTS beacon my friend didnt want in box Im selling for $250 ($290 at Sangre de Cristo Moutnain Works) Peace and have a great time. Heaven's Hill was money on Sunday.
“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.” - John Muir
SFPowderJunky

Big T was great a week ago as well

Postby SFPowderJunky » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:01 pm

If you come off the radio towers skirting the edge of the watershed on the skied out path into the trees you'll eventually come onto the Aspen Vista Trail and just drop over the other side of the trail and there was tons of fresh pow until the valley floor where it turned into an all out luge to the parking area at Big T. Best part? Hitch hiking back up! No skinning out the Winsor trail :lol:
SFPowderJunky

Re: Sorry gotta work but thanks for the invite.

Postby Matt » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:58 am

SFPowderJunky wrote:Guy who is VERY knowledgeable about Avi safety and all the locals up there is Mar Himmerlich at 505-438-XXXX

All the locals....? Never heard of him.

BTW - he may not want his phone number posted up on an internet board
Matt

5-7 Apr trip

Postby Kerry » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:41 pm

Shoot me an email if interested in a day or overnighter during 5-7 Apr. Interested in either SF/nambe or NE of Chama. If overnighter, more interested in yurt stop in area NE of Chama. kerryhanes@msn.com
Kerry

Return to Northern New Mexico 2006-2007 Conditions